Thread: Teflon bottom for boat

Default Teflon bottom for boat

I am curious how this might work for a jet unit. Anyone have ideas. the Airboat folks use it. just curious if you could put it under your existing hull and then scoot right over stuff

Default Glacier Shaker started a thread

glacier shaker started a thread called "UHMW, How to apply" that has had some good information in it.
    I also just today heard about a web site called Rock Proof Boats.com. They make a full UHMW jet foot as well as have some other information.
    Just remember, if you go with a polymer like UHMW, use UV reisistant if you want it to last.

Duh! My bad.. did not know what it was even called. thanks

Default SportJon Bottoms

You can also buy UHMW directly from the manufacturer: http://www.garlandmfg.com

I bought the self-adhesive slicks from them, but they also have a bunch of profile extrusions -- I used one of them to create an all-the-way-around rub rail on the gunnel of my SportJon

They're in Maine, so you'll have to get pieces less that 108" for UPS to ship them.

my little jet boat has 1/2" covering all of bottom and additional 5/8" in 13 " wide strip over keel. that and the extra heavy aluminum bottom it is "bullet proof " so to speak. my first jet boat and the only way to go......expensive add on but is worth it.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Default Attached?

Quote Originally Posted by AK NIMROD View Post
    my little jet boat has 1/2" covering all of bottom and additional 5/8" in 13 " wide strip over keel. that and the extra heavy aluminum bottom it is "bullet proof " so to speak. my first jet boat and the only way to go......expensive add on but is worth it.
    How is the UHMW attached? I haved used it before but have a hard time getting it to stay put without mechanical fasteners. Thanks in advance.

Default Bolt it, do not use glue

There was a thread sometime back that companies were looking into gluing the UHMW to aluminum hulls. They tried for years and years without success. UHMW and aluminum shrink and expand at different rates. When you look at what that could be in the winter at -40, I do not see how they think it is possible to keep the material on the boat bottom.
    I would not chance it. Use metal fasteners and bolt it on.

Default A plastic story

Even after screwing it on, you can still rip it off the bottom of the boat if you hit an obstruction. I had some dealings with repairing an airboat a number of years back. It started life with a bare bottom, which the owner managed to gouge up pretty bad over his first couple seasons. So after fixing it up, we put on a liquid epoxy coating that is designed for aluminum boat bottoms. The name of the product completely escapes me at the moment, but it is a hard and slippery coating that saves a lot of wear on the aluminum hull. We used it on the bottom of Kasilof river drift boats a lot and it worked great in that application. However, on the airboat, which the guy was running in salt water and up into shallow drainages, that coating lasted only a couple seasons before it was chipping off. So, he decided to put UHMW on it. We had to build in additional hull stiffeners (internal) to catch the screws and there were hundreds of screws used. Each screw was given a nice countersunk hole in the plastic so none of them poked out. That plastic bottom didn't make it through a single season before he hit a rock in saltwater and ripped the whole bottom off. However, if the plastic hadn't been there, he would have sunk the boat right there with a gaping hole in the hull, I'm sure. An entire new aluminum bottom had to be put on the boat following that event. Probably would have been cheaper if he would have sunk it and just bought a new one.

The moral of the story is, regardless of any attempts at "armor" plating your hull, you've still got to run the boat within reason. So the idea of "scooting over stuff" still comes with several caveats.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default Make sure that the thickness is up to the task

Really sounds like a nasty hit, extreme case. That said, whatever thickness UHMW being installed should at least kinda be tougher thickness-wise than the boat is massive, or better yet, just don't hit stuff that hard. Wish that were possible huh guys? To the wise, if at all possible, install it when the boat is new if you have the luxury. Trying to force feed it to a wavy beat up bottom or getting same bottom straight enough to do a passable job is a tough proposition. I'm days or at the most a couple of weeks away from installing it on a new SportJon. I may start a new thread for the job. I will be using weld-on washers instead of bolts to nail the UHMW down. CAC plastics in Wasilla has been using them for a long time. They flex and move in the cold and don't come loose like glue over time. In addition they don't stress the boat structure or the plastic from the temp changes. Glue has gotten better and Phantom continues to use it but they've had their problems and our temp extremes cause them. Like Rat says, fasteners. The airboat boys have come up with a grade 8 flathead bolt that has UHMW hot bonded to the head and a special countersink to machine the sheet fot the bolt to mate with. I was told about it last summer upriver by an airboater that had used them on his boat refit. They cost about $3 apiece and he put a LOT of them in, got spendy fast. More info you probably didn't need, but interesting options. See ya, Oz

Alaska Airboats is now gluing their UHMW to the bottom of their airboats. When I talked to Leonard he said, "they are going to make it the standard." We will see how that lasts. He did tell me that they are installing the poly bottoms on the sportjons and he even had a couple in the yard. He got a kick out of tjm's run aground on 20 mile, he even coughed up half a lung laughing so hard.

Default gluing?

do you know what kind of product they are using to glue the bottom?