Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: KENAI Peninsula BROWN BEAR Harvests 2015 (Report Here) please

Default KENAI Peninsula BROWN BEAR Harvests 2015 (Report Here) please

Please report any Kenai Peninsula Brown Bear harvests for 2015.

Wasn't this hunt closed by EO last October?
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Quote Originally Posted by akiceman25 View Post
    Wasn't this hunt closed by EO last October?
    You must have missed this...... http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...PEN?highlight=

I know of a 7.5 footer taken in my area over bait.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

The closure continues on the refuge of course. I think that has slowed harvest a bit, Tustumena was a hotspot for harvest the last few years.

I may head your way this weekend AGL, wave if you see a fat guy plodding up the mountain!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I heard of a 10 ft'er arrowed over bait down my way a few days ago. No further info at this time.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Quote Originally Posted by cod View Post
    I heard of a 10 ft'er arrowed over bait down my way a few days ago. No further info at this time.
    Friend of mine is also trying to arrow one off a bait as well. Showed me trail cam pics of a decent sized one finally hit the bait during the middle of the week but hasn't been back since. Happened this same way last year. The need to breed must outweigh the need to feed......lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I've only heard of two that have been harvested in 15 so far, just a handful of Blackies also. Off to a slow start

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Friend of mine is also trying to arrow one off a bait as well. Showed me trail cam pics of a decent sized one finally hit the bait during the middle of the week but hasn't been back since. Happened this same way last year. The need to breed must outweigh the need to feed......lol

Our bears do the same thing. We got hit last sunday thru tues, then nothing. They leave for upto 2-3weeks then come back in full force and in greater numbers. Moose calves are dropping, we see fresh moose tracks everytime we go to the bait, no tiny baby moose ever spotted. Sows in heat, maybe sooner since warmer weather, but with those few things going on, we experience the same thing as your buddy, bears just vanish, even the smaller one.

11'5 7/8"...1278# Over bait on Wed.

Quote Originally Posted by Reel Bob View Post

WOW! That's a monster!
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Come on Bob you can't tease us like that! Pics and a story or it didn't happen....
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

I was dropping off some black bears with Kenny at skulls and bones and a guy brought one in whole that I would put really close to 10'. That was on Wednesday

Quote Originally Posted by mjm316 View Post
    Come on Bob you can't tease us like that! Pics and a story or it didn't happen....
    I knew those numbers would bring out this question ...This is the info as it was passed to me...It was shot 3 times with a Ruger M77 rifle chambered in 458 Win Mag. shooting 375gr. Sierra soft nose bullets at 42 yards from a tree stand. The first shot just pissed it off. F&G said its the largest seen/heard in the last 30 years on the KP
    Attached Images Attached Images

What a pig!

I do now. Tapatalk is being dumb this morn. Thanks for posting.

Hey AGL, I am just curious why you want people to "report here"? Are you simply looking for stories or looking to confirm the veracity of the ADFG numbers or some other reason. These thoughts popped into my head right away when I saw the title of your post and I have been watching, wondering if your motive might become clear but it hasn't. I don't have a bear harvest to report nor have I tried. Just curious.

Did he take it in to the Soldotna F&G who came up with those measurements? If so I just may have to give them a call......lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I have eaten Grizzly and Moose. Moose taken before or well after the rut taste better. But Grizzly meat is still very eatable, I just prefer Moose. O.K. That said, I have only two different moose tracks in my area this spring. Which is a improvement over two years ago when there were "NONE".

So far this spring I have recorded seven different Brown Bear tracks, in my area. This is about normal. However what is shocking is that I have yet to see one Black Bear track this spring in my area.

My goal is to motivate hunters to get serious about a designated Brown Bear hunt on the Kenai Peninsula........as opposed to, it being a nice trophy to harvest while seriously pursuing other species. I just feel that the opportunity to harvest huge Kenai Peninsula Brown Bears is temporary, and a rare gift available to Working Class Anchorage residents.

Short Version: I want more moose, and fewer Brown Bears where I live.........Sunrise, Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by smarion View Post
    Hey AGL, I am just curious why you want people to "report here"? Are you simply looking for stories or looking to confirm the veracity of the ADFG numbers or some other reason. These thoughts popped into my head right away when I saw the title of your post and I have been watching, wondering if your motive might become clear but it hasn't. I don't have a bear harvest to report nor have I tried. Just curious.

Agl, after I get my residency in a year I'm hoping to thin them out for you.

Hey AGl4now I have taken your advice on some areas and have seen game, especially bears. On the contrary, though I have seen far more moose than both black and brown bears. This is pointed more towards the cooper landing area and the mysterious trail leading to your area, but I hunted hard the past week seen only one brown bear boar which was being watched by other hunters and other than that one brown sow with one cub and two black bears. The moose on the other hand were six strong with lots more in sign. I appreciate where your coming from, but have experienced different things then people who say moose are endangered and that black bears have been pushed out. That said I tried to come home with a brown bear, but failed. I'll keep at it, but I just don't think the moose are in that dire of trouble especially after the last two winters.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast