Thread: float hunt newbie

Default float hunt newbie

I'm a veteran moving to north pole next winter from eagle river. from what i gather float hunting is the way to go up north. i have been watching a lot of videos on youtube to educate myself a bit. I'm looking to buy a freighter canoe, any suggestions on which makes are the best? also which motors are good to have for a freighter canoe? to say i am stoked about moving north is a understatement. i love the outdoors and always treat her with respect. id jump at the chance to go out with another expeirienced hunter to learn some tricks of the trade. any info received will be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by KBBA View Post
    I'm a veteran moving to north pole next winter from eagle river. from what i gather float hunting is the way to go up north. i have been watching a lot of videos on youtube to educate myself a bit. I'm looking to buy a freighter canoe, any suggestions on which makes are the best? also which motors are good to have for a freighter canoe? to say i am stoked about moving north is a understatement. i love the outdoors and always treat her with respect. id jump at the chance to go out with another expeirienced hunter to learn some tricks of the trade. any info received will be greatly appreciated.
    Float hunting may be over rated. It's hard to compete with the motorized crowd. Either way, you have to get off the river and walk the swamps and get up high to glass the swamps.

Look into calling to the moose, it works real well, the last week to week an 1/2 of the season not to say it won't work at other times
    lots of DVD's an books on how to do it , it all works just some work better that others SID
    PS some times the moose is real slow, other time he will run , you will learn what works for you

Quote Originally Posted by HikerDan View Post
    Float hunting may be over rated. It's hard to compete with the motorized crowd. Either way, you have to get off the river and walk the swamps and get up high to glass the swamps.
    You may have different hunting experience than I. I always take the animal near the water's edge. With freighter canoes, you have the ability to pull over shallows, and get real far up places on skinny creeks, treating your canoe like a meat toboggan on the way back down (for the smaller ones). My last Moose was called from higher ground, right to my campsite. Everyday, I paddled down river to call, only using the motor to quietly idle back to camp. I've never shot an animal near a swamp. Always riparian habitat.

River traffic is rising exponentially..

Prepare to get extremely creative to escape other hunters/pressure, or spend a lot of money..

And yea... I've shot the last 4 or 5 moose either near, or standing in the river I use to get them out... hope I didn't just curse myself for 10 years..

calling... don't over do it, and be patient. If you call them, they will come... it's breeding season, and they are heavily invested, and curious.

A note ::: a float hunt, 2 types because of the lack of road's rafts are float an be picked up down the river some miles by a plane , a canoe you put in an come back to the same spot by the use of a motor , [canoe's don't fit in plane's very well] , don't get me wrong there area few trips you can put in float down a be picked up by an AUTO / TK. but not many SID