Thread: anyone ever camp in or around horsehead bay?

Default anyone ever camp in or around horsehead bay?

Was wondering if anyone has ever camped inside of horsehead bay just outside of resurrection bay? Was thinking about heading out that way here in a couple of weeks and was wondering if anyone has ever been there on the beach and how it is for anchoring the boat for overnight. We usually stay in driftwood bay but would like to get something a little closer to the fishing grounds. Any help or suggestions on places to stay out there would be greatly appreciated.

Horsehead would be a miserable choice. Getting ashore would be dangerous with the usual rollers making in, and staying on the boat would be lousy IMO (I've been spoiled by the quiet anchorages in PWS and the Seward side just doesn't compare). There are a few coves on the east side of Day Harbor but most of the good land in those coves is privately owned (I know, I own some at the head of Anchor Cove) so setting up camp ashore can be problematic, but staying on the boat would make for a much more comfortable night though probably not much closer than DW to where you want to fish. Puget Bay has the next protected anchorage along the coast going east, then it's Foxfarm or west side of Montague for a decent spot to anchor up for the night.

Thanks fish witch for the reply. That's what I was thinking in regards to horsehead. Theres going to be a couple big guys on the boat so sleeping on the boat is doable put not practical. Might have to look into Puget, thanks

If you camp ashore in Puget (Goat Harbor is the cove I'm referring to), please let me know what you find. I've got a group of guys going out later in the summer and thinking about that spot for camping but haven't scouted it out to know if it's got decent ground to pitch a tent or two. Good luck with your fishing out that way. We got a 70 last week not far from there, but only one other chicken so fishing was slow.

Fish Witch, we stayed out in Aialik bay this past Friday through Monday next to Verdant Isl. inside of that cove. It was nice and protected and plenty of area to camp on shore. We fished all of the chiswells out to Seal rocks and over to Granite Isl. We only managed 4 halibut, limits of really large black bass and yellow eye the entire trip. It seems to me that the halibut bite was slow.

I know that Aialik bay is going the opposite way but there are nice coves to camp in. If I make over that way I will definitely let you know. Thanks for the reply.