Thread: Dalton Highway Advice

Default Dalton Highway Advice

Im planning a caribou hunt for August 10-20th up in 24A and 26B. I was wondering if that is a good time and if there might be better opportunities for caribou at the same time. Also I have a bow but I will bring my rifle in case I feel like I need it. I know that you must be 5 miles away from the highway to use it, whats the best way to determine 5 miles away from the road? Im assuming gps, but what kind is the best for something as simple as figuring out 5 miles from a way point?

Thanks for the help and any advice is welcome

GPS is the best way to determine if you are the correct distance. You could utilize google earth to get 'approximate' gps coordinates for the 5 mile corridor.

5 miles is a long way to pack a caribou, solo - the terrain is not the easiest walking. If you are in good condition and have some gumption, it can be (and has been) done. If you plan on keeping the cape on your caribou, make sure to take some salt and learn how to prep the ears, lips, nose and eyes and do a moderately good job of fleshing. The temps can be very warm up there and it wouldn't take long for a cape to spoil.

It is beautiful country up there! Good luck!
    Juli
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

There is a thread on here annually dedicated to that hunt, I'd read rough a few years of it, tons of info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Make sure to check that you are 5 miles from the highway, not just that you have walked 5 miles or are 5 miles from where you left your truck. There are places where the road curves, so you could be 5 miles from your starting point and still be within the 5 mile corridor.

As noted, 5 miles is a long way in this country. Good luck.

Thank you I will definitely check that out, what it the title of that thread and where is it located?

The thread is "2015 Haul Road Hunting Report" there are also reports from previous years. I used my Garmin 62st and bought a corridor boundary map for it (see below). It worked great!

http://www.daltoncorridormap.com/

In August you won't find any Caribou south of Atigun Pass, most will be between Pump Station 2 and north of there. You will know you are near caribou when you see all the trucks parked on the edge of the road...
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Quote Originally Posted by Roger45 View Post
    In August you won't find any Caribou south of Atigun Pass, most will be between Pump Station 2 and north of there. You will know you are near caribou when you see all the trucks parked on the edge of the road...

This is perfect advice. Start driving, once your past the shelf and you start seeing a parking lot worth of cars your probably close.
    I'm prolly out using my bow or 30-30

First off look VERY carefully around FINGER MOUNTAIN on your way up & Back.

We killed a Large bull on August 10 last year with my bow.

We watched as Several picks just drove by not seeing the 50 or so head we were sneaking up on that where feeding around in the boulder patch on the west side of the road.

Next drive north till you get on the next hill above the Kapuruk River crossing. There is a road there that has a gate on it. Park your truck out of the way like everyone else does.
    You can Walk easily for 2.5 miles east until you get to a small rock pit, follow the road a little farther & you will see a Board walk made of wood that goes east into the weather station stuff. walk on the board walk for another mile atleast. Then prepare for Wet walking but not too tough.

Doing this you can be out to the Safe 5 mile area in about an hour & a 1/2.

Some guys will even take Bycyles & child carts out to the board walk.

If you kill one out at 5 miles or farther, SHUTTLE the meat & stuff back to the board walk 1/2 at a time.

Trying to carry the whole caribou out in one trip will beat your ass. I did it once & NEVER again.

Leaving the stuff at the end of the board walk you can turn & burn the load to the hyway in just a couple hours & not kill your self.

I have killed several bulls out there over the years & you can Usually see caribou out at 5 miles from the road in that spot if they are in.

There ARE other guys out there, so if you touch off your rifle IN the 5 miles you are going to get a visit by them, & it could be a pretty bad experience.

Also, Make SURE you take EVERY SCRAP of meat off of the carcass before leaving it for the animals. The Wildlife Troopers WILL fly out & check your carcass & if you haven't taken ALL of the meat you will loose your caribou & get a ticket.

Also as was mentioned GPSs are Great IF you know where you are in relation to All the turns in the road.

Good luck & see ya up there.
    RJ Simington
    PRO Taxidermy Fairbanks
    Custom Taxidermy, Experience the difference !!