Thread: Advise on Deshka Landing to Deshka River

Default Advise on Deshka Landing to Deshka River

Hello,
    I am looking into fishing for kings on the Deshka River this year. All I have for a boat is a 17' Alumacraft canoe with a transom and a 4-5 hp prop motor (yet to be acquired). I was wondering about what the river is like from Deshka Landing to the Deshka? Is this section doable with the boat I have, or is this ill-advised? Any input would be much appreciated.
    Thanks,
    David

Charterboat Operator

though it has been done, ILL ADVISED would be my comment!!!

Might take quite a while to get back. Think other boat's wakes would increase the pucker factor tremendously.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

Quote Originally Posted by Rtarandus View Post
    Hello,
    I am looking into fishing for kings on the Deshka River this year. All I have for a boat is a 17' Alumacraft canoe with a transom and a 4-5 hp prop motor (yet to be acquired). I was wondering about what the river is like from Deshka Landing to the Deshka? Is this section doable with the boat I have, or is this ill-advised? Any input would be much appreciated.
    Thanks,
    David
    I've seen this done several times. most common mistakes made on this stretch of water that I've noted is.. Canoeist didn't take enough gas to make it back to Deshka Ldg. Not enough HP on canoe motor to push canoe and occupants (and gear) back up against the 8 kt current.. It's do-able, just let someone know when / where your going, and have a back up planů.

Music Man...can you check your PM account? ...full folder

Thanks

try now, sorry

Too dangerous in my opinion. I would not take the risk for a couple of salmon. Buy a boat that is right for the job and it will be a much more enjoyable trip. Things can go south in a hurry even for experienced boaters. I sure would not take any young kids or my wife along.

and dont forget: This emergency order prohibits the use of bait and limits sport fishing gear to one unbaited, single-hook, artificial lure while sport fishing in the Deshka River and all waters within a one-half mile radius of its confluence with the Susitna River. This emergency order is effective from 6:00 a.m.,Friday, May 1, 2015, through 11:59 p.m., Monday, July 13, 2015.

Not a good idea,there is too much of a risk of being swamped by the waves from passing traffic ,a 22ft. or 24ft. boat can put off a large wake even across the river.

Another vote for ill advised, going downriver on the big Su might get you there...but a 5hp motor you do not yet have, will have you headed upriver while actually going downriver against that 8mph current. As previously mentioned, definitely don't take women and children.

You need at least a 20hp and not attached to a canoe. You seen some of those wakes by passing boats, they are big enough to put you in the drink.

I would not do it not worth your life
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

Another vote for "Don't do it" ~ "I wouldn't do it"
    "Grin and Bear It"

Thanks for all the advise. I'm looking into drop-off/pick-up service with one of the charter operators, or just fishing for kings elsewhere this year. Maybe next year I'll have something that can handle it!
    Thanks again,
    David

Smart man ^^^
    2005 20' Weldcraft Sabre XL 350 MP
    SD309 AT
    2009 Polaris Dragon 800 163
    Custom Mod's

Quote Originally Posted by Rtarandus View Post
    Hello,
    Thanks,
    David
    In reading your statement and question, you were given some good advice seeing as how the size and type of watercraft on the rivers have changed over the years. I could not help but reflect back over the years to 1967-68 when my best fishing buddy and I made numerous trips to the Deshka in a 19 ft. Grumman canoe and 5 hp Evinrude. Access was down Willow Creek. What fun! After a good day of fishing we would head back, always hugging the bank along inside curves where velocities were slower. We would always enjoy the slow trip back, observing the beauty around us, taking the time to "smell the flowers", so to speak. Thanks for the opportunity to look back on those good old days. But, of course, these are now the good old days! Enjoy your time on the river.

In years past, maybe. But the river changed a bit a few years a ago and it is really swift on the north back right before the Deshka Mouth. The south bank is swift too for that matter. That bottle neck would be your biggest challenge with 5hp. Then there are the wakes and the very long time at 1-2 MPH going up river. If the river goes 8mph and you are going upstream at 2mph that means your hull speed on the canoe is like 10 MPH. Most boats don't go much over 8-10 MPH without trying to get up on step or push a lot of water. Again it could be done if you are confident in your gear. It seems you are not so confident in your gear since you don't own it yet. Maybe safer is better?