Thread: Remote Trainers

Default Remote Trainers

I need help deciding which remote trainers to buy for training one of my hard-headed beagles. The three brands I am intereseted in are the D.T. Systems iDT Plus remote trainers, the Garmin Delta remote trainers, and the Sportdog remote trainers. They are all about the same price range ($170-$200). I am kind of leaning towards the Garmin or the D.T. systems brand. I think they have a little bit longer range for the same cost. I know Garmin makes great GPS equipment. I have owned several garmin GPS devices. But I know very little about the other brands. Does anyone have any knowledge about these devices or recommendations for any other remote trainers for about the same cost?

Here is a website that sells these devices if anyone wants to see them.

http://www.fntpost.com/Categories/Hunting+with+Hounds/

Over the decades I've used several brands mostly to try them out, but I long ago settled on Tri-tronics. Now, Tri-tronics is now owned by Garmin and,although, some things may have changed, I don't believe you would go wrong with their collars. If I were to go to another collar brand it would be Dogtra. Just my two cents on the matter. YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McCann View Post
    Over the decades I've used several brands mostly to try them out, but I long ago settled on Tri-tronics. Now, Tri-tronics is now owned by Garmin and,although, some things may have changed, I don't believe you would go wrong with their collars. If I were to go to another collar brand it would be Dogtra. Just my two cents on the matter. YMMV

Thanks for the advice Jim. Rep point sent +1

I currently have the garmin 550, which is the newer version of the old standby tri-tronics unit which as been a proven of for years. That said it is a little more than what you were looking for, & garmin probably cut a few corners somewhere along the line.
    If you get the delta remember the range is line of sight, so the delta upland has a little stronger transmitter if you are in wooded / hilly areas.
    Also gundog supply website has some good info on e-collars.

I've used a Tri-tronics G3 for years now, and had no issues. Range is good, and I really like the beeper option - it works better to turn my lab and get his attention than the shock options seem to. I have replaced the collar battery once, and the controller battery (9V) twice, in 6 years with this unit.

My folks use Dogtra collars on their dogs, but the biggest problem is that you have to actually touch the controller to the collar to activate it. Maybe they have fixed this since, but it is a giant pain. Their dogs were never conditioned to the collars adequately, so they know they can get away with anything as long as the collars aren't switched on. The Tri-tronics collar just has a button, which is much easier.

I'm not familiar with the newer units Garmin has produced since purchasing Tri-tronics, but if the quality is anything similar, you should be very happy. Good luck!

Man, I'm kinda bummed out everyone is recommending the Tri-tronics. I appreciate the advice. I just don't think I can afford one of them. The cheapest ones I've found run $300. I was looking for one in about the $150-$200 range. Oh well. Thanks for the tips everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    Man, I'm kinda bummed out everyone is recommending the Tri-tronics. I appreciate the advice. I just don't think I can afford one of them. The cheapest ones I've found run $300. I was looking for one in about the $150-$200 range. Oh well. Thanks for the tips everyone.
    Cheap crap is never the best option. Get the Garmin Tri tronics Pro 550. At $399 its your best deal.
    Don and crew
    Forgive me for being arrogant. I own 2 Drahthaar's.
    Tundramoor Drahthaar Kennel. Training Versatile Dogs because we hunt it all.
    Memeber of the Alaska Warterfowl Association.

I use DT Systems collars, bumper launchers, and bird launchers. Great products, and good customer service. Tri-tronic and Dogtra make great products as well. I've been happy with my DT gear. My female setter in my avatar is wearing a DT collar.

Ryan
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans

Quote Originally Posted by Hoyt View Post
    I use DT Systems collars, bumper launchers, and bird launchers. Great products, and good customer service. Tri-tronic and Dogtra make great products as well. I've been happy with my DT gear. My female setter in my avatar is wearing a DT collar.

Ryan
    Thanks Hoyt.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    Thanks Hoyt.
    No problem.
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans

Ended up buying the Garmin Delta Series Remote Trainer. So far, so good. I just started working with him.

I am looking at the Delta sport for my 6 month old lab. Have you had time to use it much? Any feedback would be appreciated.
    2007 26' Northriver OS, Suzuki 300.

For entry level collars, I'd hit eBay for a Tri Tronics G3 sport basic. Garmin took the perfect setup and ruined it. The collar is thin and cheap, with no D ring to use lead with, the buttons are easily bumped, causing you to check settings constantly, and the digital readout can fog up at times.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/261920775216?_....c100408.m2460