Thread: Carter/crescent lake?

Default Carter/crescent lake?

Planning on heading out for the hike to crescent lake this weekend with the wife and dogs, going to go via the carter lake route for the shorter hike. Figure it should be pretty solo with everyone else out chasing salmon around.

Has anyone been up there lately, any fishing reports? I've never been, but I'm a huge grayling fan so hopefully I'll not be let down. I'm still debating if it is worth the effort to pack the little 8' inflatable. Is there shorefishing access, or would a person be better off with the boat?

What about gear? We're going to bring the light spinning rods for the wife, and my fly rod for me. Any particular patterns we should have on hand? I think I'm pretty well set up for flies, and she has a good selection of mepps-style spinners, so we should be in good shape, but anything to cut down on the trial-and-error would be nice.

And what about carter lake, I understand there might be some decent-sized 'bows there? Any tips on that?

I appreciate any info, good fishing to everyone!

Hey bud. Sorry to bring this up but crescent does not open untill July 1. I have no idea about any other lakes up there or the regs. Again Crescent does not open untill July 1. When it is open to fish it is awesome. Sorry to break the news to you
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

****. You know how many times I've read that in different places, and still not had it connect?

Ok, anyone know about ptarmigan lake?

Maybe we should just go fish quartz creek.

Crap.

Thanks for reminding me, I still don't know how I managed to not make that connection, maybe I was just seeing what I wanted to see...

Ok, I'll be headed up there after july 1.

Where else would be a nice little dayhike/fishing trip this weekend?

Default Carter Lake

Carter lake is good dry fly fishing for rainbows. Its hard to wade though. A small boat or float tube would be ideal. Chest waders would better than nothing. The last time I was there all I had were hip boots and your fishing on your toes so you dont get wet. We caught alot of rainbows 10-14 inches on dry flys. BC

I fished quartz creek last weekend and the water was perfect. Caught lots of dollys and quite a few bows. Used my fly rod and a princess nymph for a while then when I got in thick trees i have a small ultra light with a 0 mepps or blue fox that just slayed the dollys. Drove north on the highway from sunrise and just hit all the pullouts and worked alot of water. Great day on the water
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Wound up doing ptarmigan creek/lake, mainly because we wanted to see the scenery.

It was nice, but fishing was not what I had hoped. The dollies were absolutely thick at the lake outlet, but uniformly small, under 12". We didn't see any other fish. I'd seen reports that the first mile of quartz creek below the lake is good fishing, but I'll be a monkey's butt if could figure out how to access it. The main trail only follows the creek for the first little bit out of the trailhead, then veers away until the lake.

The hike was beautiful, but making the hike in the hip waders was a BAD idea!