Thread: Rossi 92 peep sight

Default Rossi 92 peep sight

A package showed up on Saturday from Steve's Gunz. It contained a stainless steel magazine plunger and a cool peep sight that is made to fit in place of the goofey toggle safety on top of the receiver.

I got the peep sight installed and oh what a difference it made for these old eyes. The front sight is crystal clear and it centers perfectly in the rear peep. I had to shorten the peep stud and file the lock ring to a thinner profile in order to get the rear peep low enough. In fact I lowered it enough that I have a little play and can field adjust it a bit lower still should another load warrant it.

The model 92 is known for it's lean, clean lines and I have never seen a side mounted peep sight that looked right on a 92. This peep sight from Steve's Gunz keeps the Rossi 92 looking as sleek as ever and is placed dead center in the middle of the receiver. So if your front sight is where it should be then getting the elevation set is all there is to it.

I hate to guess how many times I have order a gun related product through the mail and then be nothing but disappointed when it shows up. That makes it even sweeter when you get a product that is everything you wanted and more. This peep sight from Steve's Gunz for sure goes in the win column rather in my drawer full of boo boos.

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    A package showed up on Saturday from Steve's Gunz. It contained a stainless steel magazine plunger and a cool peep sight that is made to fit in place of the goofey toggle safety on top of the receiver.

I got the peep sight installed and oh what a difference it made for these old eyes. The front sight is crystal clear and it centers perfectly in the rear peep. I had to shorten the peep stud and file the lock ring to a thinner profile in order to get the rear peep low enough. In fact I lowered it enough that I have a little play and can field adjust it a bit lower still should another load warrant it.

The model 92 is known for it's lean, clean lines and I have never seen a side mounted peep sight that looked right on a 92. This peep sight from Steve's Gunz keeps the Rossi 92 looking as sleek as ever and is placed dead center in the middle of the receiver. So if your front sight is where it should be then getting the elevation set is all there is to it.

I hate to guess how many times I have order a gun related product through the mail and then be nothing but disappointed when it shows up. That makes it even sweeter when you get a product that is everything you wanted and more. This peep sight from Steve's Gunz for sure goes in the win column rather in my drawer full of boo boos.
    EKC, could you please post a picture of your sight installed?

Thanks

king

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    EKC, could you please post a picture of your sight installed?

Thanks

king
    I'm sure this smart phone is capable but not sure that I am. I'll be back at the ranch in 3 hours. I'll try to then.

King, ://Store.StevesGunz.com/ They have a picture of the sight installed. Mine is like that only my gun matches the color of the sight and is a bit lower. I'll still try to get it loaded on here for you.

King, ://Store.StevesGunz.com/ They have a picture of the sight installed. Mine is like that only my gun matches the color of the sight and is a bit lower. I'll still try to get it loaded on here for you.
    Thank you sir.
    king

EKC have you tried any loads yet?
    300 gr.?

King, I have a Verizon Android phone that should do it all but I can't get it to load a picture for love nor money. Sorry! My son will be home in a couple of days. will do it then(or I'm shooting the phone).

Budman, I have only shot my cast gas check loads which are 245 grains. They shoot and feed good. I shot it a little with the peep sight last night and was getting a better sight picture than I have in years. I would not have any trouble shooting a deer or pig at 100 yards and since the 44 mag is about a 100 yard gun that works for me.

King, I have a Verizon Android phone that should do it all but I can't get it to load a picture for love nor money. Sorry! My son will be home in a couple of days. will do it then(or I'm shooting the phone).

Budman, I have only shot my cast gas check loads which are 245 grains. They shoot and feed good. I shot it a little with the peep sight last night and was getting a better sight picture than I have in years. I would not have any trouble shooting a deer or pig at 100 yards and since the 44 mag is about a 100 yard gun that works for me.
    Thanks EKC, don't worry about it. I got a pretty good idea from the website, on the other hand, shooting an Android is that bad of an idea either. Lol

EKC.. thanks I have some 250 gr keith bullets to start with..
    I will have to pick up one of the peep sites , my eyes are not what they ustawere.

I agree that most side mounted peeps are a wee bit too large for the m-92 receiver. I did see one a while back in a magazine article were there was a bridge screwed to both sides of the top of the receiver and the peep was mounted on the bridge. HOWEVER I cannot find that peep set-up anyplace.
    I am starting to think somebody just took the top part of a Lyman or Williams peep and cut it to fit.

Here is a photo from a Gunblast review

I like the idea of Steve's bolt mounted peep but was wondering how tough it would be. EKC what is your opinion on that??

By the by, your box showed up. They did their best to bust it open. It was semi round and the interior plastic boxes are all busted up.
    Apparently they took it as a challenge. Your tape job help it together.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

I think the sight from Steve's Gunz is plenty tuff. It has a threaded sleeve that fits in the safety hole and is held in place with solid pin that is very tight. Like in the pictures the sight is a steel ball with a hole in it for looking through on top of a threaded shaft. To get mine to shoot to point of aim I filed the threads down so that the steel ball is tight on top of the thumb screw. I have no worries about it breaking.

Ray, my FFL buddy took the box back to the post office and had words with them. I suppose they busted up the box in retaliation. Jackasses! there is no weight limit on a small flat rate box. What does a small flat rate box with a couple hundred 44 bullets weigh? 10lbs? Evidently to much for some postal employees.

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    I did see one a while back in a magazine article were there was a bridge screwed to both sides of the top of the receiver and the peep was mounted on the bridge. HOWEVER I cannot find that peep set-up anyplace.
    Skinner makes a sight like you are talking about.

Skinner sight for model 94:

http://www.skinnersights.com/winchester_26.html

Look at the photo above with the red background. It looks different from the Skinner and the photo was provided by Steve Young.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    Look at the photo above with the red background. It looks different from the Skinner and the photo was provided by Steve Young.
    I didn't think they were the same, just "like" you described with the bridge. The bridge was the feature I thought you were looking for. I have a couple of things from skinner and they are nicely made.