Thread: Overnight in Anchorage ideas

Default Overnight in Anchorage ideas

My partner and I, both Alaska hunting rookies, arrive in Anchorage Friday, September 11th at 11:22PM.

We depart Anchorage for Bethel Saturday, September 12th at 7AM.

With such a short turnaround, I imagined that we would just sleep in the airport. It now occurs to me that the ticket counter might not be open for us to check our bags for Bethel as soon as we get into Anchorage. That means we won't be able to go through Security (because we'll have our guns) and crash at the terminal gate.

I'm looking for guidance on how others have handled similar situations. Does the airport permit you to lay down with all your gear in the ticketing area overnight? I would prefer not to deal with getting a cab and a hotel for just a few hours.

Thanks. We've learned a lot by lurking here and are grateful to all who have shared their stories.

Should be fine crashing at the airport for a few hours. Hotels that cost less than $130 per night are likely to give you souvenirs in the form of bed bugs.

What airlines are you flying(both legs)? Is there a possibility you can check your bags straight through from your point of origin?
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Default Overnight in Anchorage ideas

There is tons of room outside of security (and in) to nap in that airport, it's not uncommon to see guys like yourself with their sleeping pads and bags out and tucked into a corner somewhere.

Most of the hotels worth staying in do have free shuttles that run 24hrs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bbags View Post
    Should be fine crashing at the airport for a few hours. Hotels that cost less than $130 per night are likely to give you souvenirs in the form of bed bugs.
    They have been an issue for some hotels in Anchorage, I have heard. Yuck.

To the OP I'd rather sleep at the airport - less fuss and no one will give you guys any grief. You may find yourselves camped out next to other hunters as well. Good luck on your hunt! You are in for one of the BEST adventures a DIYer can have.
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Great Alaska Bush Company............is just down the road from the airport...........

I often fly in from Fairbanks on the last flight of the night so I can meet with friends to catch the first flight to Kodiak. I just drag my gear and go upstairs, there is an area up in the corner where I sleep on my gear for a few hours until the the smaller carriers open and start checking gear for the villages.

Although I agree with AGL4now's recommendation to visit the "Great Alaska Bush Company", I would save that visit for AFTER the hunt.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

+1 on the bush company. If you want to stick around the airport, there are a few good restaurants inside the security area. I'd recommend Humpy's, get a halibut or salmon sandwich and a few beers, then roll out your sleeping pad in a quiet corner and catch some zzzzz's.

There are a few good hotels that aren't too far away. Most of them offer free shuttle service. A bunch of new hotels on C Street near International Airport Road that would be clean and probably not too expensive if you want to get a good night's sleep. I would steer clear of The Coast International Hotel, it's cheap, but not the cleanest.

But seriously....the Bush Company

If you are flying in from Texas you will arrive on the sterile side of security. Check your bags through to Bethel and only worry about your carry on.

What airline are you flying on and is it the same carrier into Bethel?

sleeping in airport works BUT every friggin hour the chime goes off telling the time, it gets anoying so bring earplugs. There is a place near baggage claim(in the center of the area) that will store your gear for a fee if you have your outbound ticket info already. They have freezers for fish. note last time I used this service it has been some years. might ck w airport information dept.

I remember having a plan to go outside and sleep on the grass until I found there was a bear attack in the employee parking lot the night before!

if a veteran... use the Military lounge.

real quiet, and free movies, or books.

pick up one of those fleece sleeping bags and put in carry on. they weigh about a pound, and roll to 4" x 13" (diameter to length)

use as pillow or bag

not to warm, and keeps stuff together if put carry on inside (or use as pillow) with you.
    no gear wondering off on it's own.

I had someone "accidently" grab one of my bags from right beside me onct.

now I sort of attach all together or to me when snoozing...

good luck on trip, and post some photos.

Chris

I've spent quite a few nights in ANC... just rack out on the floor. You'll almost certainly have company somewhere. Pretty easy to find a quiet concourse and get some sleep.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Thanks all. We are on Alaska Airlines for the whole trip so hopefully they will check our bags all the way through to Bethel, but it sounds like our Plan B options are good if we have to collect and recheck bags.

The GABC does sound like a lot of fun...and a good way to miss our flight to Bethel! We'll leave that possibility open ended for further consideration.