Thread: Delta River Kayak Memorial Day Weekend

Default Delta River Kayak Memorial Day Weekend

Is there anyone out there who would be willing to go Kayaking with me 30 miles down the Delta River? I'm only looking to do a small section of it. Starting at Tangle lake area paddle all the way down to Ann creek. Should start on Friday May22nd 2015. I'd rather not do this trip by myself so that's why I'm putting this out there. I'm an adventurous intermediate kayaker. If you have any experience, particularly with this river that's a HUGE plus. Thank you for any replies! -Shane

I can't join you, but a couple pointers, if you've never done this trip.

1. I'm not sure if ice is out on the Tangle Lakes. It may be, but often on Memorial Day Weekend the ice isn't yet out. Also, the lake that you portage across at the falls almost certainly still has ice on it. You might bring a ski pole or something to check the ice thickness before you cross. I prefer using a canoe when I have to portage across ice, as I position myself so that if the ice breaks I belly flop into the canoe.

2. I doubt BLM has gone down the river yet this spring, so it's possible that the marker for the portage trail is knocked out by ice. Stay river right and be alert for the sound of the falls.

3. You are lucky. It's a beautiful Memorial day trip. It's likely that you will be the first floater on the river.

Well Hey thank you, I really appreciate any advice. Have you ever gone done the Delta River? I'm looking on my maps and I don't see a lake on the right hand side where you portage across to avoid the falls/rapids. I figured the portage trail was just on land that goes around the falls/rapids. I'm really looking forward to this trip.

There is most definitely a small pond on the portage.

Quote Originally Posted by Smcshea View Post
    Well Hey thank you, I really appreciate any advice. Have you ever gone done the Delta River? I'm looking on my maps and I don't see a lake on the right hand side where you portage across to avoid the falls/rapids. I figured the portage trail was just on land that goes around the falls/rapids. I'm really looking forward to this trip.
    The small pond is at the top of the hill... so basically off the river, up the hill, across the pond, down the hill, back in the water.

The pond is perhaps 10 yds wide, and a hundred or so yards long...but tucked down in a geological feature so going around would be pretty tough.

This is a great trip. I usually go later in the summer and fall though.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by Smcshea View Post
    The above info on the pond is correct. It usually stays frozen until June 10 or so, so I bet it's safe to cross. Just be careful.

One other piece of advice is that after the portage there is a deceptively mean rock that has dumped plenty of canoes. It's a pretty easy ferry to river left to avoid the rock, but if you aren't paying attention it's easy to get sucked into the rock and dump. If you are at all an experienced kayaker it will not be a problem at all, just be alert.

Is there anyone out there who will be willing to come kayaking down the Delta this weekend with me?

Just FYI Tangle Lakes are still half frozen as of 5/23/15.