Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone ever been refused a tow on the river?

Default Anyone ever been refused a tow on the river?

Anyone ever been refused help and just wished good luck by other boaters while broken down on the river? Three different boats wanted nothing to do with us the other day and finally one very nice guy was willing to tow us back to the boat launch a few miles. I can understand if conditions would have been unsafe for a tow, but it was completely doable. If I ever come across a broken down party, the last thing I would do is just leave them regardless of the inconvenience. Disappointed in my fellow Alaskans to say the least...

I have never passed a vessel in distress. It's just not right and breaks every moral rule in the book. Worst case I give everyone a ride to the landing and help secure the boat for later tow.
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

I've always stopped by and offered to call/give them a ride back. I will not tow with my boat, don't want anything to break, and especially don't want the liability if something goes bad. Both times I came upon a boat that was broken down the guys didn't ask for a tow, just get ahold of of somebody for them. I have helped pull a guy off a sandbar late in the season, as I was pretty much his only option to get his boat out of there. Some peoples boats don't have good enough tow points on them, like mine.

Interesting post since our group (four boats) 16 May (Sat) found a boater stuck in a low area. We didn't ask why he stopped in an area that could have been an easy run, but he did. We all walked over, helped him push to deeper water, and it was done deal in about 20 mins.

I was on a friends boat out of Homer harbor Saturday, engine died about a mile from the harbor. We pulled the cover and started checking a few things and had numerous boats going out go by pretending not to see us. A few others coming in that just looked at us, those ones really surprised me. It wasn't a big deal, weather was really nice and water was calm, but I've never passed a boat that had the engine hatch up or cowling off without checking on them at least.

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    .... I've never passed a boat that had the engine hatch up or cowling off without checking on them at least.
    That is because you are an Alaskan. A lot of people live in Alaska nowadays who aren't really Alaskans.

I think it is more about how a person is raised and their character. More important than what state they happen to be from.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Buck View Post
    I think it is more about how a person is raised and their character. More important than what state they happen to be from.
    Well, a combination of both in my case, I would have done the same in Washington and know lots of folks there who are the same way. but I think Alaskans are a bit more cognizant of the importance of helping other who are stuck because the conditions are so much more unforgiving here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    Well, a combination of both in my case, I would have done the same in Washington and know lots of folks there who are the same way. but I think Alaskans are a bit more cognizant of the importance of helping other who are stuck because the conditions are so much more unforgiving here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I agree the conditions here raise the importance of lending assistance. I always stop. I am not doing anything so important that I can't stop.

Last week I pulled up onto the highway a little West of Wasilla about midday. A pickup was in the ditch upside down. I put on my flashers and pulled over. Got out with phone in hand and asked if everyone was OK and if they needed me to call anyone. Another car pulled in behind me. Two guys with the upside down truck. One guy yells at me: "We're OK. Get the F out of here."

I grew up in Montana. We were taught to stop and see if we could help if someone was in trouble. That was a long time ago.

There was a school teacher in MT that stopped to help two guys. They raped and killed her as pay back for her kindness. One of them was on death row for years and years with many trials until the State dropped the death sentence.

I'm sure most of the folks on this site are wonderful people. If I see someone in trouble I'll do what I can to help.

Wasilla, behind 3 Bears on the Palmer Wasilla Hwy

Does anybody know who, if anyone, is available for towing services on the Susitna? A few years back, Ron Wilson of Ron's River Boat up at Susitna Landing was kinda the go to guy. He was opinionated and would tell you what he thought of whatever stupid thing a guy had got himself into but he was always ready to jump in the boat and go and when he got to you he know his stuff. I miss the guy myself.

We always stop too and at least try to help. One time we even towed a broken down airboat down to the mouth of the Deshka. At least, since it was broken down, it was quiet. Towing upstream on step requires a lot of boat, super strong tow points on both boats and some skill and is not to be undertaken lightly. Just my opinion.

[QUOTE=LeonardC;1480859]Last week I pulled up onto the highway a little West of Wasilla about midday. A pickup was in the ditch upside down. I put on my flashers and pulled over. Got out with phone in hand and asked if everyone was OK and if they needed me to call anyone. Another car pulled in behind me. Two guys with the upside down truck. One guy yells at me: "We're OK. Get the F out of here."

bet they were drunk and didn't want the cops to show up ???

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by bmunsell View Post
    Does anybody know who, if anyone, is available for towing services on the Susitna? A few years back, Ron Wilson of Ron's River Boat up at Susitna Landing was kinda the go to guy. He was opinionated and would tell you what he thought of whatever stupid thing a guy had got himself into but he was always ready to jump in the boat and go and when he got to you he know his stuff. I miss the guy myself.

We always stop too and at least try to help. One time we even towed a broken down airboat down to the mouth of the Deshka. At least, since it was broken down, it was quiet. Towing upstream on step requires a lot of boat, super strong tow points on both boats and some skill and is not to be undertaken lightly. Just my opinion.
    Larry Heater

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    That is because you are an Alaskan. A lot of people live in Alaska nowadays who aren't really Alaskans.
    Funny how some think if you're not born in Alaska, Washington, Oklahoma, + the other 47 states you're not an American. Who cares what state someone is born in...if your choice is "Not to help" a person with a possible life, limb or eye sight issue, you can go pound sand. Proud to be an American and an Alaskan by choice.

I have never refused to tow someone else, but I have refused to BE towed.

My problem was due to my own stupidity and lack of preparation. Neither I nor the boat was in danger, and I was danged if I was going to ask someone starting their day to stop and bail me out. A couple of folks stopped anyway, and I sent them on their way to enjoy their day, but to check for me on their way back out at the end of their day. No sense ending some poor sucker's one day off a month for my own stupidity.

Yeah, I flagged a boat headed back to the landing a little later and got a ride out, and he was glad to do it. I also got his name and address, then mailed him a $200 gift certificate in his name at Cabelas. Everyone was happy AND he got to put in a full day of fishing rather than giving it up for this idiot.

Folks with their thumb out really need to think of the precious days off of folks that weren't so stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Larry Heater
    Great guy!
    Bk

Summer Freighters

Larry Heater (907) 495-1285
    Eric Johnson, Northwoods Lodge MB Mammoth
    (907) 733-3742
    Ron Van Wavern, River Express Freighting
    (907) 354-7001
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

I have never passed a boater that is down, I have towed three, two of the tows resulted in my breaking something on my boat a skag once, and a cleat once, but the boats were in trouble, they never offered to help pay for the repairs, but who cares, I hope if I breakdown someone will help me. Once on the Kenai I broke down, called a guide friend of mine, he called another guide that was coming up river, he hooked on to me and took me to the boat landing. Much appreciated. I am not a guide.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerberman View Post
    I have never passed a boater that is down, I have towed three, two of the tows resulted in my breaking something on my boat a skag once, and a cleat once, but the boats were in trouble, they never offered to help pay for the repairs, but who cares, I hope if I breakdown someone will help me. Once on the Kenai I broke down, called a guide friend of mine, he called another guide that was coming up river, he hooked on to me and took me to the boat landing. Much appreciated. I am not a guide.
    Same here. I've towed several boats over the years and have suffered a bit of loss of my own in doing so. Less than 50/50 for people offering to help out with fuel and a much lower percentage to help with the impeller repairs after sucking up a bunch of gravel getting them up the river.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Armed_alaskan View Post
    Funny how some think if you're not born in Alaska, Washington, Oklahoma, + the other 47 states you're not an American. Who cares what state someone is born in...if your choice is "Not to help" a person with a possible life, limb or eye sight issue, you can go pound sand. Proud to be an American and an Alaskan by choice.
    Jump to conclusions much? No one said anything about refusing to help in an emergency (issue of life or limb). Running out of gas, or breaking down is not an emergency.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast