Thread: Rainbows spawning

Default Rainbows spawning

I took my gopro out and pushed it through the rotting ice to find a good number of Rainbow trout preparing to spawn. Some of these fish are huge for a little lake!

Very nice! Thanks for sharing!

Btw...Which lake is that?
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Quote Originally Posted by fishermanjake View Post
    I took my gopro out and pushed it through the rotting ice to find a good number of Rainbow trout preparing to spawn. Some of these fish are huge for a little lake!

I hate to say it man, but rainbows don't spawn in lakes. At least all the literature I've read about it suggests that they spawn in rivers and streams. As far as I know, any lakes with rainbows in them were either stocked or if they are connected to a stream they spawn in the stream. Maybe someone else will chime in here, but I think it has something to do with flowing water.

when they get too big to spawn in the stream coming out of this lake, they go to this spot, dissolved oxygen can be a problem for them, but I will show you some video when I get it uploaded of the starting of spawning...might be a few days but I'll add it on when I get a chance. I took the video, so its literature vs. first hand viewing with video to support.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    I hate to say it man, but rainbows don't spawn in lakes. At least all the literature I've read about it suggests that they spawn in rivers and streams. As far as I know, any lakes with rainbows in them were either stocked or if they are connected to a stream they spawn in the stream. Maybe someone else will chime in here, but I think it has something to do with flowing water.
    The stocked trout are sterile, but they're also not that bright and *think* they're spawning. In a lot of lakes you can catch large, pretty stockers when ice is 15'-20' back from the shore. Anyway, what you're seeing is fish that think they're spawning but aren't really.

Speaking of which, how's Quartz Lake coming along?
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

Quote Originally Posted by mlshore View Post
    The stocked trout are sterile, but they're also not that bright and *think* they're spawning. In a lot of lakes you can catch large, pretty stockers when ice is 15'-20' back from the shore. Anyway, what you're seeing is fish that think they're spawning but aren't really.

These are not sterile trout, last time it was stocked was in the early 90's. It's legit spawning in the lake, there is a water overflow there, but you can't see any current, must be just enough O2 to attract them there as opposed to another spot.

I've seen monster rainbows spawning in a lake on the KP. Don't know if any little ones came of it, but they were definitely spawning. And they weren't stocked fish

They are spawning, they commit the act just the same as fertile fish do regarding the deposit of eggs and sperm, the only difference is they do not produce offspring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fish and Game stocks both sterile and non sterile trout, depending on the spot. If there is a chance the stockers will breed with wild fish, sterile, triploid fish are stocked. If the lake is land locked with no chance of a flood event mixing the stockers with local wild stock, then fertile fish are stocked.

They will spawn in lakes, more often though when there is no alternative. Its not well documented. A fish biologist friend of mine observed this behavior in Spirit Lake in Washington. I've seen at least attempted spawning in two stocked lakes in the valley. They just know they are supposed to do something.