Thread: Bait/Lure Advice Fairbanks Area

Default Bait/Lure Advice Fairbanks Area

Hello all,

I'm still pretty new to the Fairbanks area and I've been able to get a little fishing in here and there but this summer I'm looking to getting a lot of time in. I was wondering if I could pick some people's brains on set ups for various fish. The majority of freshwater fishing I've done in my life has been for trout and catfish so I don't have much experience using jigs, spoons, or lures. Some fish I would like to target are pike, char, grayling, and burbot. I'm not looking for anyone's secret spot or honey hole just some advice on tackle. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Rapala jointed shad 6 inch fire tiger heavy braid line like 30lbs to pull loose from snags without losing lure. $8. Lure
    lamprey cut ,5oz weight single hook 8/0 find slack water toss in let sit
    Got to look good even in defeat. IMAGE is everything.

Is that for pike?

burbot fish like catfish

pike, I like red & white spoons, 8"wire leader, they eat/kill anything/everything that moves in the water.

grayling, # 0 silver mepps spinner, I use 4 06 lb test, small ultralight rod, any small silver spinner

char, (wild trout type fishing ) bigger spinners, rapala, minnow imitations.

Quote Originally Posted by Rak.444 View Post
    Is that for pike?
    Jointed shad pike
    lamprey for burbot
    Got to look good even in defeat. IMAGE is everything.

Quote Originally Posted by mudbuddy View Post
    burbot fish like catfish

pike, I like red & white spoons, 8"wire leader, they eat/kill anything/everything that moves in the water.

grayling, # 0 silver mepps spinner, I use 4 06 lb test, small ultralight rod, any small silver spinner

char, (wild trout type fishing ) bigger spinners, rapala, minnow imitations.
    I didn't see this the other day. Thanks for the info!

If you're digging lampreys make sure they're dead...law requirement along with 3/4" hook gap! Simple to do, bring them home, vacpack and freeze in day sized portions....

get rid of the bait for all grayling waters. Most lakes (stocked trout) its ok, but double check the regs, there are some its not! Baits a touchy feely game around here, and other than maybe burbot not needed at all...

Day 1 open water for me this year I had to show a guy fishing grayling where baits illegal in the said waters. Thankfully he wasn't the typical ****** bag and changed over.

Definitely listen to TradBow - the regs can be a little complicated and you need to know where you're fishing and what's legal. In general, bait's okay in the stocked ponds and lakes around Fairbanks but you need to double-check on the piece of water you're planning to fish. There can also be issues like fishing for chums being legal downstream of the Moose Creek dam but not above it, and so on. You can use bait for burbot in the river but the presentation is really particular. Cops can pop up in unexpected places.
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

Where and how do you dig for lamprey?

with a shovel...

Sorry I couldn't resist !

ok ok, shoot me a pm, they are not hard to find at all!

Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

you mean I don't even have to get all muddy holy moly! that right thar is humble pie!

I will admit though, most of my big fish are on whitefish not lampreys.

You should get a fly rod... 6-7 weight. The Interior region offers some of the best roadside arctic grayling fishing in the entire state.

Its not as difficult as you may think to learn a basic cast.

Area lakes have been or on the list to be stocked - check ADFG stocking report online for trout and arctcic char (there are no wild populations - only stock variety)

Get a Alaska highway angler book and research public access and species availble. (great resource for self guided types)
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com