Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .375 bullets for moose & brown bear????

Default .375 bullets for moose & brown bear????

I will be starting to reload for my 375 Ruger soon. I am looking primarily at Nosler Accubonds in 260gr (possibly 300gr) & Barnes 270gr. Open to others that you might have experience with. So far I haven't killed anything but paper with it using factory 270s.
    I want a mid-weight bullet so trajectory at 300yds on moose or black bear wont be an issue, but I want a bullet that will hold up to a close encounter with a brown bear. Anyone have experience with the 260 Accubonds?
    And yes I know shot placement is key
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

270gr Barnes TSX and be done with it!

I've had really good luck with Nosler Partitions. 2 grizzlies and 4 or 5 moose, but none of these were as far out as 300 yds. We did range and kill a caribou at just over 400 yds. with this bullet though.

I've never found a better bullet than the AB for performance over a spread of impact speeds.

I'm thinking that 260gr AB would be tough to equal, much less beat, for general use.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I've several hunting partners that use the H&H version. I've done a good bit of loading for them and seen several moose and one B&C brown bear fold up to a well placed 260 NAB that I handloaded. The 260 NAB is certainly a good choice and easily be my selection given your criteria. The 250 TTSX or the 270 TSX would likewise be good choices.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

I read a lot into 375 bullets last summer and fall when loading for my 375 Ruger. I also saw the 260 AB near the top of the reviews but everyone was on backorder. The best of the best reviews I came across for african type game were Woodleigh Weldcores and Swift A Frames which are a little pricier than Nosler partitions or accubonds. I am thinking the Noslers would be still very good on the biggest moose, with the Weldcores and A Frames warranted for the better weight retention (>85% vs the Noslers ~70%). The TTSX also had mostly very good reviews, with the occasional report of a leaving smaller pass through wounds and contributing to the theory that they need higher velocity than traditional bullets.

But I tried what I could get my hands on: the 250 ttsx and 270 speer btsp. The 250 ttsx were the most accurate in my ruger guide gun so I went with them. They worked fine on a caribou with very little meat damage at about 2400-2500 fps impact. It made a dime size hole all the way through the lung area.

270grn TSX is perfect in the .375. I've used it for many years, many moose, and several grizzily/brown bears in the H&H. If you reload, use RL-15.

So we have multiple suggestions for the ABs & Barnes, & 1 for the Partition, & of course A-Frames.
    Sounds like any premium bullet should do the job? It may well boil down to what is available...
    I have read the occasional report of failure for an AB or Barnes, but I think they are real rarities for both.
    Don't take this wrong, I'm not a hater but I have also read several reports where users complained of cooper fouling with Barnes & having to scrub/clean after as low as 10shots?
    Vance in AK.

"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

>375 H&H here with 300 grain Barnes X. Accurate, and deadly. The solid copper bullets don't break up and I have found them to ruin very little meat.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Quote Originally Posted by Vance in AK View Post
    I have read the occasional report of failure for an AB or Barnes, but I think they are real rarities for both.
    Don't take this wrong, I'm not a hater but I have also read several reports where users complained of cooper fouling with Barnes & having to scrub/clean after as low as 10shots?
    I have heard similar comments, but I've not experienced either. The original X bullets did foul the bore real fast, but the TSX's not so for me. That said, not all bores are equal...some are real rough...some are smooth. Then there's the whole debate about breaking-in your barrel Vs not...so I should qualify my report by acknowledging that I'm a break-in the barrel guy. Personal choices for sure...good luck Vance.

So we have multiple suggestions for the ABs & Barnes, & 1 for the Partition, & of course A-Frames.
    Sounds like any premium bullet should do the job?
    I would definitely agree with that.....does a guy want to drive a Ford, Chevy, or Dodge?

I really don't believe there is a "be all, end all" slug. A premium bullet is a premium bullet, and would tend to believe they all perform pretty darn good. I'm sure they all have pros and cons. I used to use Rem core-lokt slugs for many years and most of them performed just as well as the much higher priced NPs I use now. So when you get up into the "better" slugs I really don't think there is a whole heck of a lot of variance there.

I really believe a guy could drive himself nuts spending a ton of time and money trying to figure out what is the "best" bullet for his gun, but I really don't believe there is one. Just choose a slug that is constructed well, has a decent BC, and is accurate out of your particular gun......and go with it. 99 times out of 100, if a guy does his part and puts a slug where it needs to be, it's going to end up with a dead animal in pretty short order....imho.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I have used Barnes 250 TTSX and the 270 TSX. The 250 TTSX shoots a little flatter for that 300 yard shot, so I go with that most times. The 270 TSX shoots just as accurate. I use that load when I am very sure/hopeful of a grizzly encounter. I would not hesitate with either load with a grizzly. Everything shot with the 250 TTSX was very dead and had a one big hole out one side of it. The Barnes bullets have not really run out of stock, at least for very long. RL 15 has worked the best. RL 17 looks promising for the 250 TTSX as well. Honestly, pick a bullet that works in your gun. Buy a few hundred when you find them and reload for years. I am partial to the monolithic bullets for staying together when I want penetration, and they are accurate. I can't imagine a critter hit with an accubond would like it anymore than an X bullet.

Well I found a box ot 270gr TSX locally so I guess I'll start with them.
    I have 2 boxes of TSXs in .358 (225gr as I recall) that I may have to see if I can swap for some .375 270grs.
    I got them for a 358 Norma mag project that I am yet to finish (or really start).
    Vance in AK.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    >375 H&H here with 300 grain Barnes X. Accurate, and deadly. The solid copper bullets don't break up and I have found them to ruin very little meat.
    What he said. I've shot 2 moose, 4 caribou and musk ox with my 375h&h, all using the 300 grain barnes. Devastating performance, obviously, and what I love is eating darn near right to the bullet hole.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

I worked up 2 loads for my 375 Ruger Guide Gun. 20" barrel length.

Load #1: 78.5grs. of RE17 behind a Nosler 300gr. Accubond with WLRM primer seated 3.385" OAL. 1/2" 3-shot group at 100yds. Chrongraphed averaged 2590fps.

Load #2: 73.0grs. of RE17 behind a Woodleigh 350gr. PP with WLRM primer seated 3.385" OAL. 1" group at 100yds. Chronographed averaged 2391fps.

The 350gr. load is 2' lower then the 300gr. load. Going to sight the 300gr. load dead on at 200yds. should put the 350gr. close to dead on at 100yds.

These are both 300 gr Swift A frames shot out of my 375 RUM into a herd bull bison at 190 yards. Both were recovered on the far side hide, just an inch shy of exiting. I did not weight them, but just looking it's obvious that weight retention is acceptable.

Well I found a box ot 270gr TSX locally so I guess I'll start with them.
    I have 2 boxes of TSXs in .358 (225gr as I recall) that I may have to see if I can swap for some .375 270grs.
    I got them for a 358 Norma mag project that I am yet to finish (or really start).
    My experience with the .375 Ruger tells me, you are going to like them very, very much!
    Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug in Alaska View Post
    My experience with the .375 Ruger tells me, you are going to like them very, very much!
    Have a pet load you'd like to PM me? :-)
    Vance in AK.

PM with load info was sent.
    Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

And received! Thank you sir! Need to find me some RL15.
    Vance in AK.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast