Thread: Is it still worth it to set up a bear bait stand this late in the season

Default Is it still worth it to set up a bear bait stand this late in the season

I'm looking to set up near sutton, what do you guys think? Too late in the season?

No, not at all

Go for it. Still a month and a half left in the season. Plenty of time.

Never got hit until nearly June last year, go for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just put mine up yesterday bears usually don't show themselves tell the end of May anyways at least not in the interior

Based on what is in our game camera photos, the blackies and the grizz just started feeding on the 14th in 20 B. They did spend a lot of time looking at and smelling the bait before that, tho.

That's about the norm can't remember where but read an article that it's not based on temp but day light and tree and grass blooming. The study concluded 12 May to be the key date in the interior.

I'd be getting one out for sure.. There's plenty of time left... My bait was hit a lot in May last year, but it went nuts in June...

after a lot of years screwing with this, and some guiding as well, really the interior, depending on area as some do get whacked early, don't really get cranking until that last week of may to the first of june. I cant vouch for Sutton but I'd guess it would be earlier yet (mid may).

at least in the interior, I know there are guys getting hit much much earlier. Generally close to denning, with bears that have been on the baits a lot over the years, they know right where to go. Or bears not traveling far. Some of the baits we've run are traveling sites. They get hit a few days and dry right up, no reason for it, but its been a constant no matter who hunts the area. The only reasoning we have is its a low bear area and they're just passing through from one area to another. Nothing to really hold them and they don't or wont stay on the bait site...I have yet to be cleaned out on one. But have shot and had plenty of shot opportunities along with a buddy who hunted nearby.

I know a couple spots that get hit hard by mid may. This year (and likely last) are not quite right by any means, 80 by the 15th of may is nuts. The sloughs wide open by the 3rd week of april....even more crazy, we're usually standing on ice still.

Either way I agree 100% you're not to late by any means. Get a good stink bait going NOW!!!! if you haven't already. This is where most folks are behind. It takes a good week maybe two to get one firing off enough I'll hang it. I want the thing to gag a maggot. you can speed it up with a black trash bag or a black painting pail. to right at a week.

The real question with temps this warm is rubbing. I doubt they're rubbing much in the interior yet but it wont be long. Watch the paws, hard to see out of a tree stand without glasses. They're usually the first to go, along with the back.