Thread: 200 Sport Jet and a Sand Trap

Default 200 Sport Jet and a Sand Trap

How many of you guys are running a sand trap in your sport jets? I recently bought a 22ft Seaark Predator and this is my first sport jet. I have always had sand traps on my inboards so I am curious.

Thanks

You will not find a heater or sand trap on any Optimax SJ I ever own. That motor is designed to run without any restrictions on cooling flow.

If Mercury wanted a heater or sand trap on that motor, it would have one. I will take engine longevity and reduced main costs over warmth.

Tom

Sand trap is good idea in my mind, just like a Racor fuel water separator that some folks say restrict fuel flow.
    Heaters are fine too if the system is maintained.
    Lots of sportjets running around up here with sand traps, Racor fuel water separators and heaters so something you just got to make a decision on.
    Just my 2 cents
    Mike

I have the Racor fuel water separator on now. I couldn't imagine running the Yukon and buying the fuel on the river without it and I'm running it this fall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default 200 Sport Jet and a Sand Trap

I ran a Racor fuel/water separator, sand trap and heater on mine without any issues. When it came to running the Yukon and Koyukuk I would even filter my fuel prior to putting it in the tank or barrels, and carry multiple spare filters.

Mike you are absolutely correct. They do work, but bring added risk and cost to owning a SJ that I am not willing to take. We have seen all to many times the clogging, overheating and base gasket issues that are attributed to flow restrictions that can be caused but hose two add ons.

I agree in many applications they are great options and must haves, but the SJ as you know can be temperamental. No one is right and no one is wrong, and in the end it all works out. Just rub some more money on it and have fun..

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by HCL View Post
    Sand trap is good idea in my mind, just like a Racor fuel water separator that some folks say restrict fuel flow.
    Lots of sportjets running around up here with sand traps, Racor fuel water separators and heaters so something you just got to make a decision on.
    Just my 2 cents
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by HCL View Post
    Just my 2 cents
    Mike
    I run with mike a lot and have never used a sand trap or Racor water separator. The Optimax 200 has a water separator as an OEM and no sand trap, no need for the extra Water Separator or the sand trap, why fix something that's not broken. Adding things not designed for an application can causes problems you did not have in the first place. Plenty of boats (without issues) running with the OEM filter and with ZERO problems.

The optimax 200 is used in many boat applications and has no need to add the extra "this or that" to the already good motor design.

It really boils down to the fear, don't be scared. If the Optimax had the so called water in the fuel issues, buy better fuel, if sand is an issue Mercury would have a pre-installed sand trap. To some the kool-aid tastes just fine,,, keep drinking it,,, we need the business,,,, keeps the economy rolling along.

Quote Originally Posted by Armed_alaskan View Post
    I run with mike a lot and have never used a sand trap or Racor water separator. The Optimax 200 has a water separator as an OEM and no sand trap, no need for the extra Water Separator or the sand trap, why fix something that's not broken. Adding things not designed for an application can causes problems you did not have in the first place. Plenty of boats (without issues) running with the OEM filter and with ZERO problems.

The optimax 200 is used in many boat applications and has no need to add the extra "this or that" to the already good motor design.

It really boils down to the fear, don't be scared. If the Optimax had the so called water in the fuel issues, buy better fuel, if sand is an issue Mercury would have a pre-installed sand trap. To some the kool-aid tastes just fine,,, keep drinking it,,, we need the business,,,, keeps the economy rolling along.
    I get your point and around here in the valley this is all doable. When you buy fuel in the Yukon villages in the fall though I don't believe this is possible. How would you attack that?

$18- dollar fuel/water seperator funnel that is available at napa or o'reilleys.
    Pretty common practice, heck a chamois would work as well.
    Just run the gas through either when fueling up.

HERE IS THE FUNNEL
    http://www.mrfunnel.com/Mr._Funnel/Home.html

Bk

Just bought a mr. funnel, i dont like dumping gas cans of fuel into my boat without them because of all the junk that somehow accumulates in the bottom of them all let alone the risk of water.

What about using a sand trap like a V8 uses, for closed cooling systems? Not the screen type that are used to catch bigger material that are used on the sport jets with heaters?

Quote Originally Posted by 375ultramag View Post
    I get your point and around here in the valley this is all doable. When you buy fuel in the Yukon villages in the fall though I don't believe this is possible. How would you attack that?
    Mr. Funnel will take care of the water problem if you suspect possible water contamination. AIH sells them, it will prevent the water (during transfer) from passing into your tank. I carry one as back up but have never need to use it. http://www.mrfunnel.com/Mr._Funnel/Home.html