Thread: New to Fairbanks

Default New to Fairbanks

Hey guys,
    New to the Fairbanks area and looking for some info on places relatively close, under 3 hours driving, to fish. Don't have a boat so looking for places I can fish from ashore. Not sure if anyone's willing to share but wanted to ask.

Chena hot springs road, fish the Chena for grayling, lotsof fish its C&R only though. In the summer you can head down to the Gulkanaor Klutina for sockeye (reds). There are pike around but people are reallytight lipped about locations (letís just say I have a map and a sharpie and aplan to find pike this summer). Lots of stocked lakes around too, you shouldbuy ďAlaskaís Highway AnglerĒ itís great for showing the spots.

Don't forget the Chatanika, where you can retain fish (I think 1 grayling per day, check the regs), Piledriver and Badger sloughs (both of which have good fishing at the moment, while the upper Chena is still sketchy), and you'll find detailed information on the many, many stocked ponds in the area on the AD&G website. Nome Creek is within his 3 hour driving limit, as well.

On the pike question, it's really pretty easy: find an old gravel pit. Try to find some pike it in. Good chance you will, if not, move on to the next gravel pit. You can find them in the sloughs in North Pole and off the Chena, as well. Respect property signs.

Burbot fishing is pretty hard without a boat until freeze-up.
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

Quote Originally Posted by AKducks View Post
    Chena hot springs road, fish the Chena for grayling, lotsof fish its C&R only though. In the summer you can head down to the Gulkanaor Klutina for sockeye (reds). There are pike around but people are reallytight lipped about locations (letís just say I have a map and a sharpie and aplan to find pike this summer). Lots of stocked lakes around too, you shouldbuy ďAlaskaís Highway AnglerĒ itís great for showing the spots.
    thanks for the book suggestion I haven't heard of that one and will be picking it up. I can agree pike would be fun. I missed fishing last summer with a busy work schedule and being from Kenai I knew the spots there but not up here. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by mlshore View Post
    Don't forget the Chatanika, where you can retain fish (I think 1 grayling per day, check the regs), Piledriver and Badger sloughs (both of which have good fishing at the moment, while the upper Chena is still sketchy), and you'll find detailed information on the many, many stocked ponds in the area on the AD&G website. Nome Creek is within his 3 hour driving limit, as well.

On the pike question, it's really pretty easy: find an old gravel pit. Try to find some pike it in. Good chance you will, if not, move on to the next gravel pit. You can find them in the sloughs in North Pole and off the Chena, as well. Respect property signs.

Burbot fishing is pretty hard without a boat until freeze-up.
    Awesome suggestions. I will check out those places on my next days off probably. Need to pick up a regs book and do some reading. Thanks for the ADF&G site tip I didn't know that. Appreciate the help

Buddy said that they were catching fish on the upper Chena( 27 mile Chena Hot Springs Road is the around the area) so you might want totry up that way this weekend. I like stone flys and pheasant tail Nymphs for grayling.

Quote Originally Posted by AKducks View Post
    Buddy said that they were catching fish on the upper Chena( 27 mile Chena Hot Springs Road is the around the area) so you might want totry up that way this weekend. I like stone flys and pheasant tail Nymphs for grayling.
    It's still a bit early but I was catching fish as far up as about 40 mile today. Haven't tried the upper Chena proper yet - they usually aren't further up for another week or two - but plan to this week. The water level is coming down nicely and the water's starting to clear up. A pretty good rule of thumb is that if the gage at the second bridge is above 16' the fishing is probably going to be a bit sketchy and you might have better success in the sloughs than on the main stem of the river.
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time