Thread: Re-staining my log cabin

Default Re-staining my log cabin

I have to re apply stain and topcoat to my log kit cabin, but first I need to strip the old stuff off. When I have done this in the past I have used a type that requires pressure washing to remove the old material after the stripper is applied. In this scenario I will not have a pressure washer available. Can anyone recommend a product that does not require pressure washing? After the old stain is removed I am going to sand the logs, re-stain, and apply a topcoat. Looking forward to it!

Quote Originally Posted by bigfish6025 View Post
    I have to re apply stain and topcoat to my log kit cabin, but first I need to strip the old stuff off. When I have done this in the past I have used a type that requires pressure washing to remove the old material after the stripper is applied. In this scenario I will not have a pressure washer available. Can anyone recommend a product that does not require pressure washing? After the old stain is removed I am going to sand the logs, re-stain, and apply a topcoat. Looking forward to it!
    What type of stain or log oil do you use? Just curious because I have about about 1200 linear feet of 8-inch 3-sided logs sitting in my back yard that need to be sanded and stained this summer. And I am not quite sure what type of stain or log oil I should use. Also, if anyone has any recommendations on the best way to remove small spots of mold and mildew I am all ears. For the most part my logs stayed pretty dry but there are a couple small spots of mold in a few places that need to be removed. I thought about just sanding it off. But I have heard that you can use a 50/50 water bleach solution as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    What type of stain or log oil do you use? Just curious because I have about about 1200 linear feet of 8-inch 3-sided logs sitting in my back yard that need to be sanded and stained this summer. And I am not quite sure what type of stain or log oil I should use. Also, if anyone has any recommendations on the best way to remove small spots of mold and mildew I am all ears. For the most part my logs stayed pretty dry but there are a couple small spots of mold in a few places that need to be removed. I thought about just sanding it off. But I have heard that you can use a 50/50 water bleach solution as well.
    I'm using permachink lifeline stain & topcoat. Its spendy, but a 5 gallon bucket goes a long way. As for your mold problem, I have had success removing mildew from logs with the bleach/water solution, but I'm not too sure about the unfinished logs. I couldn't hurt to apply some, let it dry, and then sand.

We used water sprayed on logs to keep wet then used a variable speed angle buffer with a 80 grit nylon impregnated cone brush wheel. this was all it took to take nasty grey logs back to new. We also put a coat of bug killer stuff from SBS before we coated with coating from SBS.

I have run into a similar situation on my log home. The first owner had put a product called Tough hide on the logs and some years later it would not let the logs breath so to speak. I started looking at a striper and could not find anything that would do the job so I started sanding the logs with a disk sander. I have research more since I started the sanding which is very time consuming and messy. Sandblasting with either corn hulls or walnut shell and that seems to be the fastest method. I have not priced the product yet or where to buy it in Anchorage as of yet I am out of the country right now but I think that will be the way to go. This is more of a suggestion to the readers to research and see if this is a option for you or not. There are several you tub video's to watch and see how it works.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam