Thread: Spot and Stalk Black Bear

Default Spot and Stalk Black Bear

I am looking at the week of 5/25 to 5/30 to spend black bear hunting and considering setting up a bait station of spot and stalk black bear hunting. I am considering a bait station off the Parks Highway north of Talkeetna or heading to the Kenai peninsula or Petersville area for spot and stalk. I have never been up Petersville road, but wanted to get some information on possibilities for spot and stalk. Looking at the google maps, it looks like there is some alder patches with elevation gain towards the end of the road for spotting. I also have atvs and am willling to travel a bit if need be. Also does anyone know about the snow conditions up there? Are my dates to early for Petersville area? Feel free to post or PM me. Any info would be helpful.

I searched these forums before the military let me come up two years later. The learning curve is steep if your used to tree stand hunting, but the real joy comes from spot and stalk. I can honestly say unless your ready to pack in many miles your odds are low. For any animal. You can find bears out there, but unless your happy go lucky, pack in where most anchorage "visitors" won't to increase your odds. Also, leave the ATV at home unless your using it to get to where you wanna pack in...Luck happens for some, but why bet on it? You can increase your odds by getting away from everyone on a south facing slope in an avalanche shoot with dandelions and green grass growing. Seems to work everywhere.

Kyle gave you some good info. In my experience, spotting & stalking (for black bears) in south-central is better in the fall than in the spring. The bears are more visible (much) when they are high working on berries (fall) than when they are searching out greens to breakfast on and getting ready for the salmon runs (spring).

Thatís interesting my experience is the opposite. When I was bear hunting I found the spring was better for spot and stalking. You could never trust the weather to shut down the hunting season. I wonder if we both told everything we knew about bears a person could learn how to hunt bears spring and fall.

Be it spring or fall knowing what hill sides the bears feed on and when they are their takes several scouting trips.
    Timing being a major problem, two early and you won't see any bears, waiting to long and the leaves will hide the bears. Unless you get above them.

I think 5-25/30 is way to early to head north.