Thread: Which new ATV?

Default Which new ATV?

Hello members, I want to tap into youe expertise:

Five yrs ago I bought a new Yamaha Kodiak 450 without power steering. I really put it through the paces, hunting, working, hauling. The trailer ball broke off the first use with a meat wagon and a welder beefed the area up and it has otherwise, been a great machine.
    Now, We want another machine and the old Kodiak is a medium size. We want a full size new 550 to 700 with power steering and brush guards. Price is a big concern, but not the only determining factor.

Arctic offers a PS 700XT (new 2013) for $8148 + $900 for winch and brush guard bumpers on front and rear, or $7098 for a base model 700 + $900 for winch and bumpers.

Can-Am says their twin cylinder 500 XT is has more HP than everyone's 700 and the 500XT Outlander is $10,917 with PS, winch brush guards. Their 650 XT is $11,717

Yamaha 2015 700 Grizzly Power Steering (PS), winch and front brush guard bumper is $10,500.

I haven't looked at a Honda or Polaris and don't like the cheap wiring harness on the Kawasaki.

What would you get and why? Thanks.

I would get the grizzly with power steering. I like the comfortable ride of Polaris, but after riding a grizzly with power steering on a week long hunt, I would go with the grizzly
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

I'm also looking for one but have pretty much narrowed it down to a Polaris 850XP or a 700 Grizzly. Out of the machines you listed I would say Yamaha. I personally do not have much time on a can am but they are also nice solid rigs. Let us know what you end up getting. Good luck!
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

700 grizzly, the 550 is the same machine just less displacement. Id stick with Yamaha, I have always had good luck with them.

My buddy has the 700 Griz and swears by it. He does lots of riding w other rigs and says his is best performer.
    My Bro has the 550 griz and likes it.
    I bought the 550 Griz w the EPS and automatic transmission for the wife this spring and I put it thru the paces until my Honda rubicon came last month. I've only noticed sutle diff between the two so far. As has the wife. More or less personal preferences like seat comfort, throttle location, etc at this point.
    I went with the Honda. No belt(s). Honda durability and dependability. No electronic (devise) shifting to fail. Full time four wheel drive this year. Independent rear suspension. My 3 wheel big red still runs great but is now mostly idle and I'm loving riding these new rigs.
    I look forward to what others chime in and on what you ultimately choose.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Still lovin' my 2012 450 Grizz w/ power steering......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I think the Polaris 570 is worth a look, its the base model but its fuel injected and can get power steering too. I want to say it its around 6500-7000

Quote Originally Posted by mbahr0115 View Post
    I think the Polaris 570 is worth a look, its the base model but its fuel injected and can get power steering too. I want to say it its around 6500-7000
    Yes, that machine has been getting some pretty good reviews. It has just 1-2hp less than the yamaha 700 grizzly as well.
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

I like the Grizzly's, there is more to a utility machine than a big engine and horse power numbers. Durability in the back country wins for me. Yamaha's power steering is spot on, true four wheel engine breaking (Polaris is rear wheel...not fun going down the backside of Monument up in Eureka), great transmission engagement, and decent fuel economy for long trips.

700 Grizzly's were updated in 2014 with longer A-arms than the 550 for better stability, along with power steering and engine upgrades.

I will never own another ATV that is not a 6x6. I'm sold on the platform for stability sake and for hauling.

After a lot of research I bought a 2007 Grizzly 700 with about 1,000 miles on it and I couldn't be happier. I think it has about 2,300 miles on it now. I mostly use it to plow snow and for hunting. It's an awesome machine and if you plan on pulling a meat wagon you will be impressed. The original owner put some different weights in the clutch (easy job) to give it more low end power and a few other cheap mods and it's pretty impressive. Get a 700 grizzly and smile

Another vote for the Griz. I've had my 2002 660 Griz since it was new and it has been drop dead reliable. I wouldn't buy a Can-Am no matter what after seeing the way my buddy was treated with a warranty issue. I have had Polaris' in the past and all I seemed to do was constantly wrench on them.

My wife and I ride 550 Grizzlies with PS and I love them and can't imagine anything we would need more from an ATV except meatier tires at times. My buddy has a 700 and I am impressed with what he is willing to pull with it. If I were to buy another one today it would be a 700 just to have more oomph. As cod mentioned- the new Honda's have independent suspension so the ground clearance will be better than previous models. I am not knocking other makes in any way, but I have not seen any products made by Honda or Yamaha that aren't well thought out and very reliable.
    I don't know where you are located but don't go by simply suggested retail. The Big Lake Yamaha dealer beat the local guys by over $500 per grizz, and I got quotes from a Honda dealer in Homer that were very much worth the drive if I had decided to go with Honda. Talk to the dealerships!
    Good luck finding your ride.

I've owned can am and will never own another one. I have a few buddies that ride the 700 grizzlies. They are beast. Reliable and powerful.

We have owned and ridden Arctic Cat machines for several years and have been happy with them. Being that the wife is having 'issues' with her neck, we are looking at getting a new machine for her. We are looking real hard at one of the Arctic Cat 700's even though she does need all of the power. We do have an Arctic Cat Prowler 700 HDX with power steering and it is nice. In all of the years of owning Arctic Cat's we have had few issues with them. Arctic Cat's my not as popular as some of the other machine but they have been good for us.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBEE View Post
    The Big Lake Yamaha dealer beat the local guys by over $500 per grizz,
    I second that one. They seem to have the best prices and their service department is outstanding.

Thanks everyone! I'm still researching. I love my Yamaha Kodiak....the bad I find with Yamaha is the funky aluminum oil plug that is a PITA to remove and install and then they often strip. Also the cheap ball hitch plate. Mine broke off the first time used to pull a wagon and moose. They have a $100 receiver hitch now. Otherwise it has been great but the needle valve stuck and dumped a tank of gas into airbox and crankcase....this was at first start after sitting out for the winter.
    I'd like to hear more about Can - AMs..... They are expensive and other dealers tell of burning belts because the belt isn't always engaged.
    Has anyone had experience in bargaining with a dealer and not paying what they say is their bottom price?