Thread: Looking for recommendations for bear rug taxidermist in Valley or Anchorage area

Default Looking for recommendations for bear rug taxidermist in Valley or Anchorage area

As the title says, anyone have someone they really like (including their work and prices). Looking for a standard black bear rug, mouth closed ready to hang with 2 layers of felt.

Thanks for your input.

Dahalbergs did a nice job on mine a couple years ago, price was $1200 with white skull included if I remember correctly. He is on here and posts tons of his work.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Check out Juli on here, she does some very nice work.

I have had several bears rugged,, Dave Winney, at Frontier Taxidermy in Valdez does some of the best rugs around.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Halibut Chaser View Post
    Each taxidermist has their style.

+1 for Juli. I hope to get both a blackie and brownie this year that are worthy of her skills.
    http://www.alaskawildliferugs.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Wet eNuf View Post
    Each taxidermist has their style.

+1 for Juli. I hope to get both a blackie and brownie this year that are worthy of her skills.
    http://www.alaskawildliferugs.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by Halibut Chaser View Post
    Thanks to you both for the recommendation.

Wet eNuf is correct - every taxidermist has their style. There are MANY taxidermists in the valley - leave your bear at home and pay a few a visit. Take a close look at their work. I think many people are afraid to do that, but they shouldn't be. Perhaps because they don't know specifically what to look for, or it just seems awkward. The mount you get back is one you will have for a very long time, hopefully!
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

thanks for all the posts and comments. Good recommendation Juli and will certainly do just that.

I had a brown bear done by Dahlberg's this winter. it too has a closed mouth, relaxed look. he custom made the head mount because no one actually makes a closed mouth brown bear rug mount. anyway, it turned out awesome, price was very reasonable. highly recommended.

Default Closed mouth brown bear

Their are a couple closed mouth brown bear rugshells on the market but I think they look like garbage. A good solid head, some alterations and you get a nice looking bear. You had an exceptionally furred bear. I think this is it.

Thanks

Dahlbergs Taxidermy
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Hoytguy; 05-25-2015 at 20:17. Reason: Add photo
    Quality Counts @ Dahlberg's Taxidermy

Cant go wrong with Jesse he did my cinnamon phase black bear. Dan Williams does great work to did a couple of caribou for me. With Jesse or Dan they will show all their work they done. Whenever I shoot a nice brown bear I will definitely be giving Jesse a call. Jesse is very prompt and stays real close to his delivery time.

I too like Jesse's (Hoytguy) work. He saved a brown bear that another taxi screwed up. Did a great job with what he had to work. Would post picture but can't remember how.

Dan Williams did an awesome job on my black bear, I couldn't be happier with it, Can't wait to get my Kodiak bear back from him as well as my black tail. Everything I've seen him do has been top notch work.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

A lot of bear rug forms are facing too low to the floor. They should be tilted up just a bit so they are looking up more. This a closed mouth bear I had to make from a changeout head form into a rug form. There are only a couple closed mouth brown bear forms on the market and as mentioned already, they aren't very good.