Thread: Kenai Lake Black Bear?

Default Kenai Lake Black Bear?

Was on Kenai Lake Monday thru wed looking for Black bear saw none? Saw Brown Bear Sow with 3 cubs, near Ship Creek and another lone Brown Bear Briefly lots of green leaves early lots of food. No Black Bear? Last 2 years same story, are the Black Bears lo in the
    green tree areas? or any ideas?

They are all sleeping next to bait barrels on snug harbor!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just trying to get my son a Black Bear before he goes to basic training in June.

Quote Originally Posted by kk alaska View Post
    Just trying to get my son a Black Bear before he goes to basic training in June.
    Wish I had a better answer for you but I believe try shot straight down into the woods this year since there was no snow, rather than hanging out on the south facing hillside like they are suppose to for a short time.

You and your son would be better served by finding someone who wants to share their bait site. Good Luck.

I just flew through Cooper landing and was surprised at the total lack of greenery, saw 0 bears of either flavor.

Spend a lot of time on Kenai Lake myself. Up until about 3 yrs back was plenty of black bears, the brownies own it now.

I flew through that area a couple days ago as well as up the hwy towards Turnagain pass and agree it was really brown on the slopes. Only saw one blackie and it was down pretty low.

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    I just flew through Cooper landing and was surprised at the total lack of greenery, saw 0 bears of either flavor.

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post

Went up to Fairbanks last weekend for my daughters graduation from UAF. We couldn't believe how much more the leaves were on the trees than around here......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

The green is going to blow up with this rain and sun coming Sunday. The early green has been there for a week +. Still, sadly not a black bear in sight.

Yes lots of green same as last year, lake ice out early and no bear? In the fall there are lots of bear? Looked down lo lots of Pushki shoots and greens
    no sign of bear activity. The Brown bear we saw were on the other side of the lake. Not a black bear in sight. About 30 hrs of glassing.

Those browns are on both sides of the lake now, I've seen them in in spots where you knock your head. 4 legs will travel, without a doubt the browns ran off the blacks. Can't wait to here otherwise

Quote Originally Posted by TundraT View Post
    Those browns are on both sides of the lake now, I've seen them in in spots where you knock your head. 4 legs will travel, without a doubt the browns ran off the blacks. Can't wait to here otherwise
    Personally I don't believe the brownies have "ran off" the blacks......where would they run off to? But with all the brownies that we have around here, I don't doubt it's changed the way the blacks do things these days. Perhaps being more aware and on "stealth" mode a lot more than they had to be years ago before the brownie invasion.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Yes lots of green same as last year, lake ice out early and no bear? In the fall there are lots of bear? Looked down lo lots of Pushki shoots and greens
    no sign of bear activity. The Brown bear we saw were on the other side of the lake. Not a black bear in sight. About 30 hrs of glassing.

Kenai lake never froze this winter. The browns didn't run off the blacks. They co mingle just fine. All the bears I have seen so far have all been high..

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    ...they co mingle just fine. All the bears I have seen so far have all been high..
    Maybe that is why they are just fine. Enjoying the new law and all.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Maybe that is why they are just fine. Enjoying the new law and all.
    Maybe that's why they've even lazy all spring and aren't out in the open where I can find them! Although you would think they'd be out after food with the munchies...

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Personally I don't believe the brownies have "ran off" the blacks......where would they run off to? But with all the brownies that we have around here, I don't doubt it's changed the way the blacks do things these days. Perhaps being more aware and on "stealth" mode a lot more than they had to be years ago before the brownie invasion.....
    Been talking with a couple other locals either they ran them or ate them. Didn't want to throw that out there w/out proof. But I can't otherwise, just local observations.

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    Kenai lake never froze this winter. The browns didn't run off the blacks. They co mingle just fine. All the bears I have seen so far have all been high..
    Actually it did freeze both ends not the middle. Browns and Blackies do not "co mingle" round here

So I had the GF's dog for an extended stay. I raised her any way. Lab and Pit and something else... true friend. Shes on a lead 10 hrs a day I'm at work. Why does the dog dish keep coming up missing ? Thought it was just a neighborhood dog steeling. Fall time. So this one night (Friday) I'm hanging and putting back a few, let the dog off to do duty's, oh sh%t there she goes? Unusual but she'll be back. Hour later I'm worried, out at the front of the drive calling Dog Dog! Beer in one hand flashlight in other here comes some major thrashing in the brush before me. She must have a big stick. Bout time dog, it's late! 20 feet later It dawned on me it wasnt Dog headed strait for me at a lope! Got inside grabbed the 12 and couldn't get a shot he was under the porch w/gables. Bastid!!! Big non fearing blackie!!! Imagine what the dog went through while he was steeling her food!!??