Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Kodiak tent recommendation

  1. #1

    Default Kodiak tent recommendation

    Hello everyone.
    I'm doing a float hunt on kodiak this fall. There's going to be 3 of us and I'm looking for a affordable tent option.
    I appreciate everyone's expertise and knowledge.
    Thanks again, Kris

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Big Lake
    Posts
    1,592

    Default

    What's affordable? Does a Cabela's Guide tent fit your budget? I've read a bunch of good things about them. The only tents I've used on Kodiak have been a Bombshelter (12'x12') and a Kifaru tipi (8 man). I don't consider either "affordable", but "survival" also is a consideration. The tipi has been thru some nasty weather and held up fine. I've never regretted the purchase.

  3. #3

    Default

    Thanks Gary
    Personal experience is always the best!

  4. #4
    Moderator stid2677's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks Area
    Posts
    7,274

    Default

    Been to Kodiak enough to have learned to bring at least 2 tents. We have used a variety of tents from Cabela's Guide tent, to mountaineering tents and Tipis.

    For a float hunt on a budget, I would look at the Cabela's Guide tent 6 man with Aluminum poles, IMHO the aluminum poles hold up better to high wind. The 6 man will sleep 3 with plenty of room and you can stand up in it. I would also have a backup tent just in case that would hold all 3 for sleeping, the 4 man Cabela's Guide tent. Would do for that.

    Always pitch for wind as a blow can come in quick.

    Always have a plan "B",, and hoping plan "A" works don't count.

    Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

  5. #5
    Member mjm316's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    821

    Default

    Sound advice by Mr. Steve as always. I like to take a main tent like the cabelas guide 6 man or similar and then a tipi style that can double as a cook shack or emergency shelter. Tipis tend to be lighter and less bulky than another full size tent.
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

  6. #6
    Member 4merguide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
    Posts
    9,748

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fishcatcher541 View Post
    Hello everyone.
    I'm doing a float hunt on kodiak this fall. There's going to be 3 of us and I'm looking for a affordable tent option.
    I appreciate everyone's expertise and knowledge.
    Thanks again, Kris
    That totally depends on how much you want to spend. The Guide tents are great tents...I guided out of them for a number of years. But, considering how it can blow on Kodiak, if you can afford the Cabella's XWT tent, then you'd probably have a bit more assurance there. They are big and heavy tents though. Lighter options of great quality are Big Agnes and Hilleberg tents. None of them are really inexpensive though....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    That totally depends on how much you want to spend. The Guide tents are great tents...I guided out of them for a number of years. But, considering how it can blow on Kodiak, if you can afford the Cabella's XWT tent, then you'd probably have a bit more assurance there. They are big and heavy tents though. Lighter options of great quality are Big Agnes and Hilleberg tents. None of them are really inexpensive though....
    Very true 4merguidem.
    Unfortunately you get what you pay for. I may just rent a tent and take my Stevenson warmlight for a backup.
    I'm blowing a ton of coin on this venture, I'm all in!
    Shooting my bow everyday I'm home and on the treadmill as I write this very minute.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    North Pole, AK
    Posts
    202

    Default

    You could try to find an AK tent and tarp Arctic Oven in used condition.

  9. #9
    Member acelia8912's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    40

    Default

    I picked up a Cabelas M1 Outfitter tent for 350.00 which was $1K off the original price at 1350.00. It is the same tent almost exactly as the barneys bombshelter. all the specs are the same. if you can find it on sale again it is worth the money after reading about the barneys bombshelter. there are posts on here about the comparison too. here is the link for the outfitter. hope this helps.

    http://reviews.cabelas.com/8815/5806...ws/reviews.htm

  10. #10

    Default

    You really get what you pay for when it comes to outdoors gear. I wouldn't skimp when it comes to your tent and keeping you and your gear warm and dry. It can literally mean the difference between life and death or at minimum a fun trip or an awful experience.

  11. #11

    Default

    Thanks for all the ideas and advice folks. It comes most appreciated and I will take heed to your advice!

  12. #12
    Member shphtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Chugiak
    Posts
    1,376

    Default

    Just returned from 14 days on Kodiak - 11 days of rain, 1 sunny day, and 2 cloudy days. The wind wasn't as bad as I have seen with max. = about 45 mph. My 10 x 10 Arctic Oven kept us day and snug for the duration - not the first time used on Kodiak or Ak. Pen and has always been a safe haven. Good Luck.
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shphtr View Post
    Just returned from 14 days on Kodiak - 11 days of rain, 1 sunny day, and 2 cloudy days. The wind wasn't as bad as I have seen with max. = about 45 mph. My 10 x 10 Arctic Oven kept us day and snug for the duration - not the first time used on Kodiak or Ak. Pen and has always been a safe haven. Good Luck.
    Thanks! The arctic oven is out of my budget though, especially since I sprung for a new barneys pack this week and I'm getting my spotting scope re-lensed lol
    How was your hunt?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •