Thread: The dream

Default The dream

He looked skyward struggling to keep his eyes open through the driving rain. He lay there hidden from a dozen sets of eyes above him scanning the decoys looking for anything not right. Concealed in his layout blind the birds circle behind him where he can't see but he can hear their muted quacks and chuckles as they circle around for another look. This time circling closer he gives a couple soft quacks on his favorite call to keep the circling birds interested. On his chest his grip tightens on his shotgun feeling the metal of a well worn receiver his finger rests instinctively on the safety. Beside him his faithful lab lays patiently watching and waiting. Her off season training showing as she lays steady with only a slight whimper as she too looks skyward squinting against the rain. The birds circle a third time and this time feel confident that the fakes under them are friendly. They set their wings and glide the last twenty yards before dropping their feet and back peddling just feet from the surface of the water. As the ducks hang motionless for a split second the hunter throws the doors open and sits up, his trusty shotgun finds its place in his shoulder as it has so many times before, naturally his cheek finds that familiar place on the stock he squeezes the trigger and the first duck folds cleanly. The next shot follows and folds the second duck just as it was trying to gain altitude. The third shot rings out at a quickly departing bird and as the previous shots this one finds its mark and the duck hits with a thud. The lab has waited all year for this and is finally given the command to retrieve and she quickly returns with the seasons first duck then continues to bring in the remaining two. Flawless retrieves. The hunter too caught up in the moment dosnt realize at first that each of the The birds are sporting their own jewelry. Closer inspection reveals each is double banded with reward bands. It's opening day and it's going to be a good season. Smiling to him self and patting the head of his pup he looks skyward to see another approaching flock. He gives the down command and settles back into his layout just as he is awoken by the alarm clock........

110 days boys

LOL great post Tony, how was your snow hunt this year. Man duck season cant get here soon enough I love summer but nothing like chasing ducks.
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

Good one Tony. You wouldn't by chance be sitting in your bathtub right now with waders on and decoys spread around would you?
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Maybe.....

Skybust it wasn't as good as last year but it was still a great time. The birds didn't show up until the night of our second day so our third and fourth day was OK. We're already booked for next year and can't wait to get back after em

Im booked for the same date that I had this year 9-12 of March when are you heading down

yep..can not wait....painted decoys the other day..added about another 50 to the mess...lol
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

We will be hunting the 4th 5th 6th and 7th. We should be able to give you a report when we get done..
    It's going to be a bloody mess we'll have birds stacked waist deep,and that's just the first day

you staying at super 8 we get there on the 7. We will continue where you leave off with more birds stack up LOL

Yeah we're booked at the super 8 we fly out on the 8th so we will have to meet up

Maybe I'll drive down this time and bring a grill so we can have a night of grilled steaks and beer, or I can check my grill onto the airplane!
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Now there's an idea... I'll bring the moose steaks