Thread: Pullen Creek, Skagway

Default Pullen Creek, Skagway

Hello. I'm going to be on a cruise that stops in Skagway in the 2nd week of September. After doing tourist stuff with the wife in the morning, I would have a few hours in the afternoon/evening to maybe try some fishing. I have never caught a pink salmon before. Would I still have a chance in Pullen Creek or would the run be over? I know it's not wilderness fishing lol. I'm just doing catch and release. I would just like to try and add a new species to my life time fish list.
    Thanks Don

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In pullen odds are the run would be done with the odd few fish still rotting away and spawning since it doesn't get huge numbers. Over in Haines it'll be coho season though and there is easy transport if you have the time

Two years ago 3rd week in August I was on a cruise ship layover in Skagway and walked the waterfront. The tide was low enough that the water coming from Pullen Creek was dropping several feet from the end of a culvert pipe into the harbor. While standing on the sidewalk above it I could see what appeared to be numerous Dolly Varden darting in and around the turbulence created by the outflow. I did not fish them, but it could have been done by clambering down the rip rap to the water's edge. I did not see any signage indicating that this would be prohibited. If Dolly Varden are on your to-do list you might pack a light spinning rod or fly rod.

Thank you guys. Yes I need to catch a Dolly Varden. I will have to bring some Panther Martins.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk