Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trouble with brand new 300 winmag

Default Trouble with brand new 300 winmag

Just picked up a new Remington 700 CDL in 300 winmag. Went to the range today with federal fusion rounds. Everything cycled fine before shooting each round. After every shot, it was almost impossible to extract each round, again this was ONLY with spent shell casings. Before I shot each round, they cycled fine. Any help would be MUCH appreciated!
    I'm prolly out using my bow or 30-30

Can you post a picture of the spent casings, including the primer and neck areas?

It's not wanting to upload the rest, I'll continue to keep trying.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have to do it one at a time. Sorry.

Here is the full round. In some of the picture it is VERY hard to tell but it looks to me (not an expert) like it was catching after that 'lip' that's about 1-2mm above the lip for the extractor to catch. There is slight sign of scraping their.

Where did you get the rifle? Is it new? What brand?
    Looks (vaguely) and by what you're describing, the chamber needs polishing,
    A new rifle is under warranty, and this is one reason why you buy from a reputable gun dealer, he'll make it right, as opposed to bargain stores that won't have a clue.

I'd say you have a headspace issue. My kids got me a brand new Remington Predator rifle a year or so ago. The head space was off in that gun badly. The 300 mag head spaces off the heavy magnum ring around the base. Looking at your brass they appear to be making lots of contact with the chamber walls just above that magnum belt or ring. It's hard to tell in pictures but it also looks like the shoulders could be rolled just a tad. If the throat on your rifle is too short for the ammo the mouth of the case could be coming in contact before the belt stops the cases forward movement. The gun needs to go back to Remington. Call them and they will send you a shipping label. Send the spent brass with the gun. Now that's how it needs to be done to make Remington fix their own screw up. A good trust worthy gun smith with a "go" gauge could make a for sure diagnosis in a matter of seconds.

That is just another good example of why not to buy a new Remington rifle. Or any Remington made since 2007 when Cerberus Capitol Management bought Remington Arms.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

Have you thought of trying a different make of shells ? Maybe a few rounds just to see. Same problem....back it goes.

Well I'm no expert but I looks like a tight chamber to me. Te total lack of gas marks down the case tells me the case was tight in the chamber before the round was fired, with little expansion occur in after. I agree I would send it in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No I havent. I just bought this rifle yesterday from sportsmans. Today I'm running by a gunsmith, if he says it should be good, I'll go pick up another brand and try those.

Quote Originally Posted by boliep View Post
    That is just another good example of why not to buy a new Remington rifle. Or any Remington made since 2007 when Cerberus Capitol Management bought Remington Arms.

100% agreement with this statement - their quality control has gone down hill.

A Weatherby Vanguard will run circles around the remmy for similar money spent.

Quote Originally Posted by Sav .250 View Post
    Have you thought of trying a different make of shells ? Maybe a few rounds just to see. Same problem....back it goes.
    That's my opinion also. Could be an ammo problem.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Don't you think off the shelf rounds should at least feed decently? I understand accuracy differences but they should still feel casings fine, or am I wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBoy View Post
    Don't you think off the shelf rounds should at least feed decently? I understand accuracy differences but they should still feel casings fine, or am I wrong?
    I'll eat my hat if it's the Federal Fusion Ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by mtbikeguy View Post
    100% agreement with this statement - their quality control has gone down hill.

A Weatherby Vanguard will run circles around the remmy for similar money spent.
    Yes sir, after big green sent a couple of high dollar lemons my way I started buying Weatherby Vanguard S2s and have never looked back. I'd rather buy a well built rifle made across the pond than cheap junk made in the good ole USA. Hey they made it that way!

I've had sticky extraction with fed fusion too, in a savage rifle. check ammo recalls. I think your rifle is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    The 300 mag head spaces off the heavy magnum ring around the base.
    Yeah. Usually it's a matter of excess head space. I've had issues with several rifles chambered for belted cases and several brands of ammo over the years. The worst of the worst was a gorgeous old 7x61 S&H from Griffin & Howe. Imagine my horror when I first fired it after paying premium prices to become the new owner.

Easy fix for reloaders, but ever since then I've been leery of factory loads in those particular rifles. Not only do I get sticking when resizing back to original factory specs, I also get really short case life due to head seps.

The fix is to set up your loading dies and cased to headspace on the shoulder and NOT the belt. Have your rifle handy when you go to load those cases for the first time. Back the sizing die out a turn or two, run the case into it, then try to chamber. Probably won't with anything like normal ease, if at all.

Now turn the die down about 1/4 turn and try again. Keep doing this until suddenly the cases chamber normally. Lock the die in and never change it again. It's set to size cases for shoulder-headspacing for that particular rifle. I go so far as buying separate sizing dies for each rifle when I have several in the same caliber, and I keep the cases segregated. With headspacing on the shoulder like that, the shoulder doesn't slam forward like it does when headspacing off the belt, and you get much better case life. And 9 times out of 10, you get better accuracy in the bargain.

Dropped it off at the gunsmith. Looked at the chamber and then the rounds and said it was 2 different things. First being horrible polishing of the chamber resulting in burrs grabbing onto the round and second, the chamber was out of specs ie too narrow. Sorry if my terminology isn't quite right, but I'm not a gunsmith. Thanks for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBoy View Post
    Dropped it off at the gunsmith. Looked at the chamber and then the rounds and said it was 2 different things. First being horrible polishing of the chamber resulting in burrs grabbing onto the round and second, the chamber was out of specs ie too narrow. Sorry if my terminology isn't quite right, but I'm not a gunsmith. Thanks for the help!

Since you just bought it, take the rifle and the fired cases back to sw and have them address this issue with Remington - get sw to send the rifle back with a thorough description of the symptoms to Remington or a Remington authorized warranty repair center.

Get names of everyone you spoke with and they (sw) should take care of this for you. If not, you can deal directly with Remington if you prefer.

Keep us posted on how this plays out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast