Thread: Memories of your first hunt

Default Memories of your first hunt

First time hunter (ever) going out at the end of June with a seasoned pro. I want to remember my first hunt. Is there something specific that you had done or wished that you had done on your first hunting trip? I plan on getting a GoPro and mounting it somewhere that lets me see what I shoot as it happens, like under the rifle barrel or on my hat or something. Thanks for sharing and helping me out with a lifetime of (potential) amazing memories!

Leave the camera at home a hunter always remembers their first kill. All a video would do is taint the purity of the hunt with worries of capturing the proper angle and magnitude will dignifying yourself lol aint't worth the joy if your worried about a stupid picture to show your friends when you'll remember it cleary the rest of your life.

I wouldn't leave the camera at home, but I would leave the video camera at home...or at least turn it off during the stalk and the shot if you are so fortunate as to experience such. As mentioned above, that memory will be burned into your mind anyhow. In my perspective, you should experience that first stalk and shot in a visceral manner, unencumbered by concerns of camera angle and view. By all means, take pictures afterwards - and take lots of them during the process to include the prep, the travel, time around the camp, and butchering the meat afterwards. But don't let anything distract from the purity and the beauty of that moment when you're stalking your first animal.

Thanks for the clarification I failed to differentiate between video camera and camera. All I locked in on was the go pro part. Bring a camera just not a video camera.

I captured a kill shot on a black bear last year with my gopro. It was on a headband mount. I turned the camera on before starting the stalk. I never even thought about the camera being on during the stalk and the kill. After words, it was pretty awesome to have the whole thing on camera, I don't feel it took away from the experience at all, but then again, I wasn't even thinking about the camera after I turned it on
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Yep...my ex husband (then boyfriend) took me blacktail hunting..I was carrying my recurve which I had practiced with all summer, he was carrying a rifle. We walked upon a small forky and BAM... He shot it. I was less than amused, to say the least. Funny now to think about it, because he was so excited to have shot it he ran like a banshee right into a muskeg sinkhole. He was up to his chest and when I caught up with him I didn't know if I was going to help him out of the hole. LOL.

If I had to change things, I would have carried a rifle and shot the deer first.
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

I have to concur with a lot of the sentiments expressed....

Photos- yes. Lots. Take a pile, you'll wish you had more at some point.

Video of the stalk- not so much. I've tried "self video" in the field...gave up on it. I always either forgot, had the camera pointed off into the ether, or just found it too much to deal with while I was hunting.

Video in camp, on the road, etc- yes, I've got some good memories from some trips captured that way.

Written- yes, write up the experience long form. Even if you never share it with a soul, taking the time to write it solidifies those memories in a very concrete way. I sometimes really enjoy reading my "old" journal entries.

Best of luck on your first trip- have a blast.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

What hunt goes on at the end of June?

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post
    What hunt goes on at the end of June?
    Black bear is open year-round in many units.

Thanks to everyone! I really appreciate all of the feedback!!! I was thinking of starting a Facebook page and handing INTERESTED customers, at Bass Pro Shops where I work, business cards of the page so they can see what gear I use and different things that happen in and around a hunt. I have talked to a lot of tourists already in the three weeks that I have been working there and it seems like a good idea to help them with things. I didn't really think of all the pictures and videos before and after the hunt, I am glad that it was brought up! I was focused only on the hunt itself. I'm still on the fence about it because I don't want people to get offended by the video of the shot but they show it on TV on hunting shows. I read/was told that the go pro can take HD photos from its videos so I was more focused on the go pro duel hatting as video/camera. Thanks again everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Leatherface3825 View Post
    Thanks to everyone! I really appreciate all of the feedback!!! I was thinking of starting a Facebook page and handing INTERESTED customers, at Bass Pro Shops where I work, business cards of the page so they can see what gear I use and different things that happen in and around a hunt. I have talked to a lot of tourists already in the three weeks that I have been working there and it seems like a good idea to help them with things. I didn't really think of all the pictures and videos before and after the hunt, I am glad that it was brought up! I was focused only on the hunt itself. I'm still on the fence about it because I don't want people to get offended by the video of the shot but they show it on TV on hunting shows. I read/was told that the go pro can take HD photos from its videos so I was more focused on the go pro duel hatting as video/camera. Thanks again everyone!

Before someone else brings it up - you have WAY exceeded the amount of explanation marks (!) allowable in this post. Please check the Forum Rules.
    Good luck on your hunt. Your enthusiasm is good to see.

Memories of my first hunt.

Let's just say I remember being the happiest son in the world, walking around in the tundra with my Dad. Just the two of us as friends.

I can honestly say that I do not remember my first hunt. I cannot even begin to recollect it. I grew up hunting jackrabbits on Dad's ranch in southern Idaho. I can however remember very vividly (without pics because there are none) remember the first deer I ever shot. He was with a couple does and 3 smaller bucks. I leaned the old .308 over the front bumper of the pickup (don't worry we were not even close to a road). The smaller bucks were sparring a bit amongst themselves and one of em turned toward my buck and he lowered his head and ran the little one off. When things had calmed down I added a slug to the mix and stirred things up a bit. I remember beating everyone up to my first buck (a 23" 4x4 mule deer). I vividly remember feeling quite sad at taking the life of such a magnificent creature. Those feelings slowly faded for the next week and by the time we ate the first steaks from him a week later I knew I was hooked.

Do prairie dogs count?
    Other than that, it was an antelope in Wyoming, about 37 years ago. Vividly remember really, really tall sagebrush.