Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High Fuel prices

Default High Fuel prices

Has the price of fuel discouraged anyone from fishing or taking extra trips or filling up the boat?
    Just wondering.
    Last edited by akfly; 06-21-2007 at 14:47. Reason: added one item

I have cut my trips at least by half. I told myself and my fishing partner (my wife) that if fuel got to $3 a gallon I was winterizing the boat!

Thank God for the Freddy's/Carrs discount card!!
    Last edited by AKBassking; 06-21-2007 at 14:50. Reason: More stuff

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Building a cabin on Lake Louise and the price of gas is diffently effecting my weekends.I still have to buy the same mount of gas but now have to eat hot dogs instead of ribeye's!

Default Save fuel during the winter;

You've got to take advantage of your time off and the good weather. I'll go out every opportunity that I get and worry about saving gas during the winter months!

Default Yes

I'm planning fewer trips but partially offsetting that by making them longer (time-wise). I'm in Anchorage and boat in PWS. 80% of the money I burn is getting out there and back. I don't use that much fuel once I'm out. A 3 day trip is now my minimum and I have several 5 day trips planned. I'm also saving on tunnel tolls, launch fees, and parking fees.

The price of fuel is having a very dampening effect on my fishing trips. When your looking at 50-70 dollars for every trip just in fuel is makes it hard to do those night runs for reds. At average of 11 gal and hour for the airboat it hasnt' done too much running this year either.

No Im still going out as much as I can. Ill just have to work overtime this winter. I guess a boat is like a sports car when you buy one you cant worry about gas mileage.

It hurts for sure. Spent most my gas money bear hunting so now I will be on idle for awhile.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Thebear_78 View Post
    The price of fuel is having a very dampening effect on my fishing trips. When your looking at 50-70 dollars for every trip just in fuel is makes it hard to do those night runs for reds. At average of 11 gal and hour for the airboat it hasnt' done too much running this year either.

I'll trade! I have an 80 gallon tank and it is $240 to fill it.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

Since I'm finishing the boat later then I'd wanted to, gas prices shouldn't affect me too much, with all I put in the boat, I want to get some use out of it. I figure if I get it out 1/2 dozen times it's a good start, 10 times I'll be real happy. I also probably won't be making any really long runs until I feel comfortable with the boat, so I figure I'll be burning 20-30 gallons a trip.

I'll be running out of Whittier mostly, and what hurts is what you're already out before burning a drop of fuel.

It has affected me on where to head out to. Also now I don''t do any exploring for halibut. I don't want to waste my gas.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Unhappy Gas price

It sure affected our travels. We bought a small camper to pull behind our blazer a couple yrs ago to take up. Last yr we flew up and rented an SUV. This yr we are again flying up but renting a compact.
    By the way what is the price of gas up there? It is around 3.00 here in WI. & MN

I've gone to the russian more than I usually do this year, its all about higher mileage
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

LOL...and mommy's gas card.

Default Nope

Quote Originally Posted by akfly View Post
    Has the price of fuel discouraged anyone from fishing or taking extra trips or filling up the boat?
    Just wondering.
    No way. What else is there to live for? And, I don't understand the term "extra trip". No such thing, all my trips are planned trips.

Quote Originally Posted by danthedewman1 View Post
    LOL...and mommy's gas card.

Right I wish

I happened to save all spring to be able to fish as much as I have this year if I was a spoiled brat who didn't work I'd be killing rainbows and shooting bears over bait.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

One nice thing about it is that when I look at new reels I can justify them by saying "heck that is cheap it's the same as filling up my pickup and boat" and I always need new fishing stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by fishergirl View Post
    It sure affected our travels. We bought a small camper to pull behind our blazer a couple yrs ago to take up. Last yr we flew up and rented an SUV. This yr we are again flying up but renting a compact.
    By the way what is the price of gas up there? It is around 3.00 here in WI. & MN

In Anchorage $2.97 for unleaded

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

Quote Originally Posted by moose-head View Post
    One nice thing about it is that when I look at new reels I can justify them by saying "heck that is cheap it's the same as filling up my pickup and boat" and I always need new fishing stuff.
    I like the way you think

It hasn't affected my fishing & family camping trips. I budget for it in the summer. It has affected my flying though. Rental rates continue to go up. Its hard to pay $100-125 an hour to rent. I only plan on flying 2-3 times this summer. My boat is cheap to operate. I have a 40/35 and I only burned 10 gallons in 5.5 hours on Lake Louise June 8-10.

Gas prices have affected my purchases though. I'd like to replace my good 'ole '92 F250, but I can't afford gas plus a new truck payment and diesel's are a bit spendy for me right now, but that's where I'm headed. I'd like a bigger boat but don't want the fuel burn, and for now and the near future, an airplane is out of the question.

Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast