Thread: transducers

Default transducers

Looking for a Garmin 741XS compatible (will eventually upgrade to 1040XS) transducer. I'm looking for 1000watts that will support chirp. https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/shop...rod123252.html

I am thinking of making an aluminum bracket to house a thru-hull type transducer to the exterior transom of the boat. Has anyone tried this with the thru-hull model transducers? It would be much smaller than an Airmar TM265 or similar type transom mount transducer and I think it would be much tougher also. I'll be beach landing on occasion and sometimes the boat will go dry - I'd hate to beat up a $1K transducer on the rocks.

Somebody had a recommendation to build a vertical sliding type bracket - but the less moving parts the better so I would weld the bracket to the transom.

There was a member on here that said he had a thru hull mounted on the transom. I wish I would have thought of that before I bought tm150. I will see how this goes, but may upgrade soon to that setup. That's a downside to aluminum boats, transducer selection isn't as broad
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

I have a friend who has one on his large fishing boat. He had the bracket fabbed and they mounted the ducer into the bracket. He said it works great, but he did not know the model of the transducer. I'll look at it closer to see if I can get any numbers off of it.

The big thing to make sure of is that the bracket has a smooth transition from the hull bottom. If you don't have a smooth transition and create turbulance just in front of the transducer you'll get terrible performance.

Don't see why it wouldn't work if done properly.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Jims transducer.jpg

Pik is sideways but this is what I am thinking. The guy that has this setup (with twin 225's) says he can read bottom on step.

He has since changed to a single 350hp motor and moved this transducer

over to the side and it is working fine.

The only problem that I see with that setup is that the transducer wont be looking directly under the boat. I don't know if that's a big deal to you or not, but I like looking straight down when targeting halibut and lingcod. TM transducer brackets allow you to offset the keel angle and shoot your sonar straight down but then you have the transducer sitting farther off the transom and subject to getting knocked around.

Looks like it could easily be fixed by shimming one side of the ducer it'self to get it level again.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    Looks like it could easily be fixed by shimming one side of the ducer it'self to get it level again.
    Or buy the right transducer for the angle.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Very true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

I don't think it is that big of a difference? You don't adjust your TM ducer from on step to anchored. I am not sure what the angle at rest is on my boat. Side to side I can fix - verticle too.