Thread: Marine Electronics

Default Marine Electronics

I'm finally getting my boat in the water and wanted to ask the forum members what they recommend for a good Bottom machine. Seems there is quite a number of options. My budget is $1500, naturally if something way cheaper will work, that would be fine but I want to make sure that what I get will perform in all the coastal waters of Alaska. How much power do I need? What features are important to have? What features are a waste of time? Can GPS, Charting, and fish finding be in a single unit? Thanks for the help. I know everyone out there has more experience than me so go easy!

You can get a decent unit for 1500. If you don't already have GPS, I would look at a sounder/plotter combo. There are several out there. I can only speak for garmin. I am pretty happy with my 741xs, but I have an upgraded chirp transducer and radar. I'm not sure what garmins newer model is. I had an older lowrance combo and it worked well for the price, not sure about their newer units. Simrad, raymarine also have a combo in that price range I believe, furuno may as well
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Charterboat Operator

i switched a year ago to RayMarine, while it is a good unit, it is not user friendly, hard to navigate around the unit and not that effective in the fish finding department. If I had it to do all over again, I think i would go with Furuno. a buddy of mine has a hummingbird, yes i actually said that word, and wow for an inexpensive unit, i am impressed. think he has about 1200 in the whole setup, and its fish finding capabilities are VERY impressive.

Good reports on the 741XS. They run about $1K, but you should upgrade the transducer for best performance. The 1040XS looks like a nice machine and is on my wish list....The Airmar TM260 (or similar if I can figure out how to mount it) will be going on first.

You can get combo gps/sounders, but don't go too small on the display as splitting the gps and sounder on a small display makes for a hard to use unit and it's a pain swapping back and forth when trying to hit a paticular structure.

There are so many different units and features you need to figure out what is most important to you, are you mostly chasing salmon and want a wider view at shallower depth, or do you want to be able see shrimp at 100 fathoms, or a compbination thereof.

For combo units the Garmin GPS map chirp units offer some serious performance, with the $200 factory rebate you could get the gpsmap 840XS though you might want to upgrade the transducer in the future. Or if you bump your budget a tad you could get the 7607 xsv which is newer technology and is supposed to be a pretty amazing unit.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Getting some great info here. The Garmin line seems to have the greatest following. My wife and I get our salmon over on the copper with the dip nets, what we're mostly interested in is rockfish, Ling cod , and the occasional small.Halibut. We'll probably going to do some shrimping during our camping trips over in PWS but that's about it. Good gouge on the screen size, I'll keep that in mind. Do I understand correctly that the CHIRP transducers are worth the extra$ in the initial investment?

Quote Originally Posted by Tank View Post
    Getting some great info here. The Garmin line seems to have the greatest following. My wife and I get our salmon over on the copper with the dip nets, what we're mostly interested in is rockfish, Ling cod , and the occasional small.Halibut. We'll probably going to do some shrimping during our camping trips over in PWS but that's about it. Good gouge on the screen size, I'll keep that in mind. Do I understand correctly that the CHIRP transducers are worth the extra$ in the initial investment?
    Chirp is not necessarily more expensive, it's different than traditional sonar. My impression of chirp is it is better at identifying targets than traditional, but an equal traditional will show structure better. There's a ton of info on the web, do some google searching to help you make your decision. I have chirp and side/down vu and I feel it's the best of both worlds
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

I'm a furuno guy for the last 35 years or so, they build 1st class gear and they will repair/service gear that is 20 years old, from what i have gleened from a couple of electronics guru's is that with garmin once they model goes out of production you are SOL for parts or service.
    I've got a Furuno 292 sounder, a furuno 7000 gps/plotter/sounder, northstar 952 gps/plotter, simrad auto pilot amd a furuno radar on my rig.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Any Lowrance HD series; not sure on cost compared to other units that have been mentioned. Upload with some Navionics charts for waters you’ll be fishing.