Thread: In need of fishing advice for Juneau, AK.

Default In need of fishing advice for Juneau, AK.

Hi Guys,
    Im in need of some tips and pointers for fishing in Juneau. This is my first time going to Alaska, my trip is set for the first of July. Im going to visit some friends who are working there this summer, so I'll have plenty of time to go fishing. However I will be mostly fishing from shore And the rivers. Im Looking to catch halibut and salmon. I'll be talking to some of the local tackle shops but I'd appreciate all the help I can get. Any pointers for tackle? Lures, bait, rod/spinner reel/line set up? Also what are some great fishing locations that are relatively close. Anything to help point me in the right direction Helps. Please give me your input! Thank you.

Call these folks up in Bountiful. tel:801-298-8060

http://docwarners.com/contact

they know the area and are also local to you and me based out of UT with a lodge near Juneau. Mark lives in Juneau and can put you in touch with what you want.

Thank you for the information Carolinaboy, I will give them a call.

You can go down by the hatchery in town, at the head of the ramp is a coffee shop, they will rent you a rod, reel, and hooks, go to the end of the dock, cast out, jerk real hard, watch the others, when you get a fish on, reel it in and bonk it on the head, do not forget to get a license. You can snag in salt water. have a cooler to put your fish in, at Walmart or Freddies, get the Styrofoam one, cheep, but they do not last long. get the fish vac packed and frozen, get a shipping box, and take it home. Or go up to Auke bay, ask around if anyone is going fishing, volunteer to help pay for fuel, maybe they will take you out for a few hours. Good luck.

The coffee shop is gone from DIPAC. In July from the shore/rivers your best bet is going to be salmon. I wouldn't even try for halibut from shore. Try to get on someone's boat if you want halibut. For salmon in July you'll be stuck with pinks and chums most likely. You can find some kings around but they'll be turning. DIPAC and Auke Creek in Auke Bay are probably your best bet. You can snag, use mepps flying-c lures or eggs. For kings you'll want a medium to heavy rod about 8'-9' long. Reel needs to be able to hold 20-30# mono, around 300 yards is normal. I'd check out Western Auto and the Fly Fishing Goods shops. The staff should help you out.

Use the search option on the forums, there are other posts that talk about the fishing that time of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by akrader View Post
    For salmon in July you'll be stuck with pinks and chums most likely. You can find some kings around but they'll be turning. DIPAC and Auke Creek in Auke Bay are probably your best bet.
    If you're talking about hatchery kings then yes they will be turning into spawning fish. However ocean kings will still be chromers through July and into August.

The commercial king salmon opener begins July 1st, so get them while you can!

Just get yourself a cheap salmon spinning rod/reel combo setup at western auto. They can advise you if you're unsure what constitutes a salmon capable rod. Then get yourself four or fivef 7/8oz pink, yellow, or orange Mepp's Flying C's and go cast off the dock at DIPAC.

As someone mentioned, the Kings will be starting to turn dark by July 1, but they're still fun to catch, and most of the Kings are still edible. Or at least smokable. Just take any catch to Jerry's Meats and pay them to smoke them up and vacuum seal them for you.