Thread: First run of the year-Portage Creek

Default First run of the year-Portage Creek

Has anybody been down Portage Creek from the visitor center yet ?

Any new Sweepers ?

Not much for water in there yet.

I'm going Tuesday with a buddy. I have a new-to-me cat I want to get wet. I'll post a report afterwards. I scouted it today and will probably put in a bit below the visitor center. The boulder garden below the bridge is a PITA at low/medium flows. The next put-in downstream avoids that 1/4 mile of rocks.

We floated Portage Creek today, 12 May. We opted to put-in about 1/4 mile below the bridge prior to the first tunnel. This avoids the low water boulder field below the bridge. Even by putting in lower, the first mile is still shallow with lots of barely hidden rocks. I would suggest staying left of center after passing under the first set of power lines. The float took us 2 1/2 hours to the takeout at the Seward Hwy bridge. An alternate (better takeout) is available where the road first runs along the creek as you drive into the valley. You can drive to the edge of the water at that takeout, you miss 30 minutes of rowing through slow, brown water, and it's rock vs. inlet mud.

it was a beautiful float, temps in the low 60's, and epic scenery. We even put some good river karma in the bank by giving a kayaker a ride back to the bridge. A note for hitch-hiking shuttle drivers...take a pfd or paddle with you as you thumb a ride. You are more likely to get someone to stop if the drivers know you are a boater.

The few hazards (wood) were easily avoided.