Thread: No See Ums, White sox deterant

Default No See Ums, White sox deterant

What is a good bug spray to keep them from eating us up this summer?

Down here in South Carolina, we like Avon Skin So Soft. It is not the odor that keeps them from eating you but the oil that keeps them from biting you, they basically drown. Give it a shot.

We're long-time fans (20+ years) of Ultrathon lotion. It's only 30% or so DEET, but it's waterproof. Unlike 100% DEET that sweats off in under half an hour if you're working, you only have to put on the Ultrathon every few hours. And it seems to work just as well as the 100% stuff.

Anything 100% Deet. Ultrathon works pretty well, but Avon Skin So Soft was a waste of money, for me.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    Anything 100% Deet. Ultrathon works pretty well, but Avon Skin So Soft was a waste of money, for me.
    i agree 100%, but I hate deet so I tend towards either putting up with, the little b a s t a r d s , smoking a pipe, or wearing a full bug jacket.... If repellent is the best option, I use 100% Deet.
    NEVER risk getting deet on your gear or bait... melts lotsa stuff and fish won't go near it.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

If you are on shore - try putting a tarp up just over the top of your head. The no-see-ums and skeeters will move to above the tarp. It works quite well. Plus you get the added security that it won't rain if you have your tarp up already.....

The skeeters and no-see-ums in Alaska can sustain well on Skin-So-Soft!

I keep a couple of thermacells on the fishing deck. They seem to keep the skeeters at bay, but don't seem to work as well on the no see ums. We also have a few cans of Off deep woulds handy. I try and put the deterrent on clothing rather than my skin, a boony soaked with deet seems to keep your head and neck fairly well protected and hit your shirts collar and cuffs as well.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    I keep a couple of thermacells on the fishing deck. They seem to keep the skeeters at bay, but don't seem to work as well on the no see ums. We also have a few cans of Off deep woulds handy. I try and put the deterrent on clothing rather than my skin, a boony soaked with deet seems to keep your head and neck fairly well protected and hit your shirts collar and cuffs as well.
    We use three thermacells on the back deck of the boat while swinging on the hook. They work great! As mentioned before, the biting flies and no-see-ums won't fly underneath them. We put up a redneck tarp/canopy out on the Sound during those rainy days and it serves double duty.

Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    I also highly recommend the thermacells, I totally forgot about them. I'm on my fifth year using these and they definitely have their place in your bug arsenal.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Were so lucky in Soldotna. We don't have a SINGLE mosguistoe.

THERE ALL MARRIED HA HA HA

Quote Originally Posted by Iwanttofish View Post
    What is a good bug spray to keep them from eating us up this summer?
    Got your PM. your inbox is full.

The Bens stuff I have is in a little orange pump spray bottle (Walmart) that fits in your shirt or jacket pocket. We only pull it out when the sun comes out or the temps warm up over 60. Both rare occasions on the island in September. But when it happens the no-see-ums appear like magic and get busy biting. No mosquitoes or others really. They're mostly down by mid-Sept. I shoot my hat good and my hairline. That's where they hit you worst. And then just keep on fishing.

100% DEET, but be careful. I have sprayed it on my hat when I had my sunglasses up on my bill a few times and it EATS THE PLASTIC...literally it looks like its melting them. Also, if you have those iron on designs on your hoody or jacket, it will melt those too. Makes one wonder what its doing to your skin, but oh well! No skeeters
    The Second Amendment.......Know it, love it, support it.

Quote Originally Posted by carolinaboy View Post
    Got your PM. your inbox is full.

The Bens stuff I have is in a little orange pump spray bottle (Walmart) that fits in your shirt or jacket pocket. We only pull it out when the sun comes out or the temps warm up over 60. Both rare occasions on the island in September. But when it happens the no-see-ums appear like magic and get busy biting. No mosquitoes or others really. They're mostly down by mid-Sept. I shoot my hat good and my hairline. That's where they hit you worst. And then just keep on fishing.

Thanks, box is good to go

I found this stuff
    https://sawyer.com/products/picaridin-insect-repellent/

DEET irritates my skin, this stuff is great!

Agree with 100% deer. It melts the no seeums when they land

Sent while partying
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

I suggest looking for fresh Bear Poo, rub it in good, cover all clothing. It won't do much for the insects, but you will have other things to be concerned about.

Better than any bug spray I've ever used is this advice, wish I would've learned it sooner.

If you're getting eaten by bugs, just DO NOT scratch them, and try not to touch them. The bites will go away quickly on their own as long as you don't aggravate them. My theory is that's how people survived for thousands of years without going crazy, long before deet.