Thread: 30-30 Leverevolution for moose

Default 30-30 Leverevolution for moose

I am curious if anyone has used this round on a moose?

http://www.hornady.com/store/30-30-W...EVERevolution/

The specs on the bullet seem promising.

Moose are really not that hard to kill. Given a shot through the lungs within the range limitations of a 30-30, it should work fine.

Good lord, so many moose have been killed by regular old 30-30 rounds. The major advantage to the Leverevolution line would be extending the range of your 30-30. Which, good hand loads could do too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Quote Originally Posted by Kickrjason View Post
    I am curious if anyone has used this round on a moose?

http://www.hornady.com/store/30-30-W...EVERevolution/

The specs on the bullet seem promising.
    i personally know four guys that dropped a moose this year with a 30-30 using regular Winchester ammo.

Not a moose, but my son and I shot two caribou with those bullets. One was a direct shot into the shoulder at 120 yards with no exit, caribou dropped dead. The other was a steep angled shot at 110 yards just behind the rib cage and lodged in the very front edge of the far side shoulder, caribou dropped dead.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I could think of a lot of guns I'd rather take moose hunting.

But if my 30-30 was what I had to take....then yep. I'd take it moose hunting.

The Lever-revolution ammo gives the 30-30 much more range, I've seen few that were equipped to take advantage of it. I dearly love mine, but it's not a 300 yard gun- even if it shot laser beams. Trigger is just too mushy and sights too coarse for such work.

I think a better bet is some 190gr Buffalo Bore and a moose at 100yds broadside. Time to fire up the grill....
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Gee, I don't know. I've been led to beleive that nowadays moose are way tougher than they used to be, and can't be reliably taken with any caliber popular pre-1980 or that doesn't have "mag" on the box. (Sarcasm)
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by KWP View Post
    Not a moose, but my son and I shot two caribou with those bullets. One was a direct shot into the shoulder at 120 yards with no exit, caribou dropped dead. The other was a steep angled shot at 110 yards just behind the rib cage and lodged in the very front edge of the far side shoulder, caribou dropped dead.
    Looks like those bullets opened up real well at 100 yards. Imagine they would at 200 also. What would you consider your maximum range for that rifle? 150 yards? Most moose are taken well under that range.

Daved,

The rifle is a Marlin 336 and I believe it's good out to 200 yards. I keep shots at 150 yards or less. Of course you've gotta keep in mind all the other conditions, wind, angle, brush, etc... I would use it for moose, but keep shots at 150 yards or less for sure. I put a 2-7 X 32 Nikon scope on it and really made a neat little gun.

Yes, I think weight retention was at least 75% in both bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    Gee, I don't know. I've been led to beleive that nowadays moose are way tougher than they used to be, and can't be reliably taken with any caliber popular pre-1980 or that doesn't have "mag" on the box. (Sarcasm)
    It's not that the moose are tougher. Factory ammo has been dumbed down by the lawyers. Same as the chainsaws that must meet new emission standards so you have to buy one 2 sizes larger than in the past to do the same work. (more sarcasm)
    My kids have taken moose with a .30-30 and a .270 on several occasions. I've taken 16 with a bow. You just shoot them in the sweet spot.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    I could think of a lot of guns I'd rather take moose hunting.

But if my 30-30 was what I had to take....then yep. I'd take it moose hunting.

The Lever-revolution ammo gives the 30-30 much more range, I've seen few that were equipped to take advantage of it. I dearly love mine, but it's not a 300 yard gun- even if it shot laser beams. Trigger is just too mushy and sights too coarse for such work.

I think a better bet is some 190gr Buffalo Bore and a moose at 100yds broadside. Time to fire up the grill....
    I'm with Hodgeman on this one. Leverevolution ammo is intended to give the .30-30 a little longer range for medium sized game in open country. A hunting buddy of mine had a complete failure with one of these rounds on a white-tail doe that he shot at close range. The bullet "blew-up" on impact and failed to penetrate. Another hunter had to put that deer down with a .30-'06 as it limped away.

If I "had" to use a .30-30 on a moose, I'd want the sturdiest bullet available, which currently is the 190gr Hawk loaded by Buffalo Bore:

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...t_detail&p=222

Then, I'd get as close as possible to said moose, like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xZsgwPlLM0
    "Luckily, enforcement reads these forums, and likely will peruse this one...Especially after a link of it is forwarded to them....." - AlaskaHippie.

Quote Originally Posted by BluNosDav View Post
    I'm with Hodgeman on this one. Leverevolution ammo is intended to give the .30-30 a little longer range for medium sized game in open country. A hunting buddy of mine had a complete failure with one of these rounds on a white-tail doe that he shot at close range. The bullet "blew-up" on impact and failed to penetrate. Another hunter had to put that deer down with a .30-'06 as it limped away.

If I "had" to use a .30-30 on a moose, I'd want the sturdiest bullet available, which currently is the 190gr Hawk loaded by Buffalo Bore:

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...t_detail&p=222

Then, I'd get as close as possible to said moose, like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xZsgwPlLM0
    My son's first bull moose was with a Norma 150 bullet hand loaded to about factory specs in his Wichester Trapper .30-30. It only took one shot for the forked horn bull. I shot a spike moose years ago with a .300 win mag with Nozler 180 boat tails, not partitions. Close range. Bullets came apart and did not penetrate well. Had to empty the gun, and finally head shot him with the last one. Talk about a lot of blood shot meat. Bullet was made for deer sized game at a longer distance. Few years ago I hammered a nice bull with my .375 H&H with a Barnes X bullet very close range. Pass through, and bull dropped on the spot. Frontal shot to the chest. Literally not more than a hand full of blood shot meat. The right bullet for the gun and animal makes all the difference.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.