Thread: Well how about that!

Default Well how about that!

I spent 5 hours at the range this morning shooting rimfires in preparation for the USBR shoots that start in a couple weeks. I took three rifles and 6 different match/target ammo to try. Rifle number one is a CZ 452 with a High Country 6-24x AO scope. Rifle number 2 is a Ruger 10/22 with a hammer forged target barrel and Weaver 6-20x with AO. The stock has been glassed and free floated and Volquartzen trigger/hammer added. Rifle number 3 is a bare bones stock Ruger American compact with a $75 Tasco 6-24x elcheapo target scope. I bought the rifle for $219 so have less than $300 in the set up.

It was a nice cool morning and I was set up in a valley between two hills so the wind was not a problem. I shot 5 shot groups with each gun/ammo combo. Then when I knew which gun liked which ammo the best I shot a 10 round group with each rifle using the ammo that it seamed to prefer on the initial test @50 meters. The CZ shot a 10 round .298" group using Wolf Match extra. The gizzied up 10/22 shot a group of .306 with Ely club ammo. The shinning star for the morning was the cheap Ruger American. It shot a group of .290 with the Wolf Match ammo then a group of .276 with Norma USA Tac ammo. It also shot a 10 shot group of .38 inches using plain old cheap white box Winchester Wildcat ammo which I have a whole lot of. I for sure have a new favorite squirrel rifle.

I know those groups sound awful good but in the 50 meter rim fire shoots the x ring is only .10 inches wide. In the USBR shoots you shoot 25 shots in each brace with a potential high score of 250 should your bullet break the paper on the majical 10 ring on all 25 shots. If your bullet would completely obliterate the 10 ring then you add 1x to your score. So if all 25 of your shots obliterated the x ring bullseye your score would be 250 with 25xes. My best score ever is a 242 with 6xes so there is room for improvement. I'm not sure that bettering my past scores lines up with my old guy eye sight and the cross wire jumping every time my heart beats. These days my hands aren't as steady as they used to be so I will not set my goals too high and just try to have fun. I will let the young guys with deep pockets and high dollar equpiment try to break all of the records. It will be fun watching them pack up their stuff and go home mad when they don't meet their own lofty expectations. I smile because that was me not to many years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    I smile because that was me not to many years ago.
    Boy, that's a long list and getting longer every day, isn't it!

Smiling is the only thing a guy can do, but it takes a few years to learn how. Goodonya.

If'n a person can keep their eyesight halfway good its one of the few sports one can enjoy many many years! Go get'm EKC I'm root'n fer ya pal!

I have a REM 541S that pokes little holes when I do my part...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    If'n a person can keep their eyesight halfway good its one of the few sports one can enjoy many many years! Go get'm EKC I'm root'n fer ya pal!

I have a REM 541S that pokes little holes when I do my part...
    The "when I do my part" says it all! I won a couple shoots in the last few years and I stunk a few more up badly.