Thread: Airboat turning radius

Default Airboat turning radius

so I have been told that airboat will turn sharper One Direction more than the other. does any one else have this same issue, have you done anything correct the problem or it just normal?is it more noticeable Higher or lower speeds?
    "Bearly Wounded" 18' Alaska Airboat, LS3 counter rotator. And a bit of a light problem.

Before I fix the problem I could not make a sharp turn. Now I can spin 360* CW and CCW in the length of the airboat. The boat will turn faster if I am turning in the same direction the prop is spinning because of centrifugal force.

What did you do to fix it? Just adjusted the stops for the rudders?
    "Bearly Wounded" 18' Alaska Airboat, LS3 counter rotator. And a bit of a light problem.

To start with, you do not want to move the stops they are their to keep the rudders from locking up.

The guy that built my boat did not no what he was doing and put the rudders in the wrong place.

Before you start messing around with moving the rudders, not saying that is your problem. You need to make sure everything else is correct. Such as are they center, are they the correct size, do they move the same distance in each direction, how much strength does it take to move the rudders under full power, etc.

Not to hard at all.

They move further in one direction

Quote Originally Posted by AKSmash View Post
    They move further in one direction
    That would sure make it turn more in one direction. How much area do you need to spin a 360* CW or CCW? In other words are you happy the way it turns?

Left yes but right not happy with. Haven't tried to do a 360

If you want give me a call 9077444893

Get in touch with me tomorrow, We'll look it over.
    Might be a simple adjustment on the teleflex cable or mechanical geometry.
    Bk

I don't get back till Monday. But I wil

smash, you have a counter rotator so torque is cancelled out, should turn equally well in either direction. just experiment with this in shallow water, maybe run up to swan lake and find some very shallow and whip it aaround, doing a 180 in both directions, that ass end should just swing right around within its own length with no problem. i would try adjusting the stops if they are not equal. just be aware one may be adjusted the way it is for a reason, be sure and test it many times while on the trailer and make sure it is turning free and not locking up. if all else fails, you live in meadow lakes, just run by alaska airboat with your boat and ask them to look at your steering and talk to them about your problem, they built the boat, i'm sure they will talk to you, even if it has had a couple different owners. just don't let them sell you something or want to fix it unless you have really deep pockets.
    Wasilla

If you really do need work on the boat I would suggest you take the boat to Skip Olsen in Fairbanks rather than Alaska Airboats working on it.

I got it fixed a while ago. Just adjusted the the stop and it's perfect now. I don't know if skip would want to work on an Alaska airboat. I need to get some work in the back older boat and needs some welding and structure upgrades. Alaska airboats has since closed and is no longer in business. Makes it hard cause no one else really knows there boats

Any welding shop can do the upgrade and welding.

I almost lost my boat because the builder did not check to see if the stops were adjusted properly. So, when I hear someone adjust the stops with out making sure the rudders will not lock-up it scares me. With the engine turn off pull the stick as hard is you can in both direction up against the stops too make sure there no possible way to lock them up if you have not done it already.

I did they don't lock up at all