Thread: saw help

Default saw help

My chainsaw (farm boss) has been hiding in a box in the trees since August of 2013. Let's assume it is still there.
    What do I need to look at when I first get to it? I want to use it. What signs do I look for that it may be needing some work?
    Rust, drain the fuel, use the oil, what?

I'd check it for gas and oil first. Then I'd set the chain brake, the choke, and then start pulling. If it starts and runs OK, I'd shut it down and check the chain sharpness. If it doesn't start, I'd be looking to determine why.

First I would dump out the gas into another container and put in fresh gas with the right mixture then I would pull the cord a couple of times then I would remove the spark plug and pour in a little gas and reinstall plug and set the choke and fire it up .Then as NRick said to check the chain and chain oil. Then install gloves and cut away. Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by the nikster View Post
    My chainsaw (farm boss) has been hiding in a box in the trees since August of 2013. Let's assume it is still there.
    What do I need to look at when I first get to it? I want to use it. What signs do I look for that it may be needing some work?
    Rust, drain the fuel, use the oil, what?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bend View Post
    First I would dump out the gas into another container and put in fresh gas with the right mixture then I would pull the cord a couple of times then I would remove the spark plug and pour in a little gas and reinstall plug and set the choke and fire it up .Then as NRick said to check the chain and chain oil. Then install gloves and cut away. Good Luck
    I would probably pull the plug, add some mix gas, pull the cord a couple times and then fire it up. I wouldn't pull the cord prior to adding some mix gas directly to the cylinder. Not that it's a huge deal.

Also, this is one of the few times that I would probably use Husqvarna or Stihl pre-mix. It has some conditioners that work well. Also, after the saw fires up, I would probably add a little bit of sea foam to the first tank of gas I burn.

Check and if necessary clean the air filter.

Check the bade, likely needs sharpening... Sasquatchies like to use those things, but they are a bit careless.

I have a saw I leave at my remote cabin. A Stihl 026. It sits quite a while at times. I just check the gas and fire it up. We don't have ethanol fuel here, so that's not a problem. Also gas here keeps longer since it doesn't get as hot most places as the lower 48. Fire that baby up, and start cutting. You did sharpen the chain before you put it away, right?
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Buy a can of the fogging oil. We seem to always think of how or if the saw will start but never think of fogging it when we store them. Get a can of fogging oil and spray it into the carb as it is running about half throttle. It will die shortly after you start spraying. That means it is winterized/summarized. Why let condensation create rust and corrosion in our saws?

Good advice, folks.
    It sounds like it should run with a minimum amount of work. I was afraid you might say it will be rusted through. I REALY hope I find it where I left it. Not feeling too good about that. If my tools are all gone that could change my plans in a pretty significant way. I'll hope for the best and plan for the worst

Depends on conditions inside the "box".... If it has stayed relatively dry, previous advice will likely hold true. I'd put fresh mix in it, check/replace the plug, squirt a couple drops of mix in the cylinder and crank it up. By my experience, they do better stored with fuel in them, rather than running them dry like we did in the way back. Turns out that is worse for the carb diaphrams, and caused them to rot/perforate pretty quickly. The fuel lines are prone to cracking after many years too, and either of those things will put you out of business (pretty easy to rebuild tho). If it has been wet, you may find a rusted chain/bar/sprocket too. But if dry and stored with fuel/oil in it, I would wager it'll fire right up.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Dump the gas. I'm a Stihl dealer. Old gas kills saws a plenty in this state. Fuel it up with new gas and start as normal. I bet it won't take more than 5 pulls on choke to get it lit.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem