Thread: Lake Paxson to Sourdough

Default Lake Paxson to Sourdough

I will be headed up this way in about a week to do a float. Does anyone know if the lake is still iced up, or how the river is running?

Also, how are the bears in the area, and other than keeping a clean camp site, do you have any suggestions to minimize risk?

Quote Originally Posted by VAWaterDawg View Post
    I will be headed up this way in about a week to do a float. Does anyone know if the lake is still iced up, or how the river is running?

Also, how are the bears in the area, and other than keeping a clean camp site, do you have any suggestions to minimize risk?
    I haven't seen it this spring myself, but it should be completely locked up still in a week. Normally it's the very end of May before it's ice free. You won't be floating the gulkana in a week if that's what you mean. Plan B.

Bears are a non-issue in my experience. Floated Gulkana about 50 times and have seen 4 bears over those 2500 river miles I think, all in fall.

Lake Louise is still locked up also. About 2 weeks behind this year. I would wait a little longer..

Thanks for the updates folks, I know you cannot predict the weather, but do you think that there is a chance Pasxon could be open towards the end of May? Our trip is planned from the 14th to the 27th?

Does anyone have suggestions for another 3-4 day class I and II float with good fishing? We are very open to suggestions, and do not have a whole lot of knowledge of the area.

Thanks,
    Sam

There is 15 inches of ice on the north end and a huge crack just below the boat launch. Do not expect to get into the Gulkana before 22ish. Remember that if the lake punks out no problem but if it breaks up there will be a nasty-ArZZ ice jam in the outlet area,

Patients Grasshopper!

Walt
    Gulkana River Raft Rentals
    907-259-4290

Now working with Tok Air offering remote fly-out trips into
    Northeast Alaska Range and Northern Wrangel-St. Ellis NP
    flytokair.com

Throughout the 80's and 90's I would go there and camp and fish for lake trout for a couple weeks. I would always call meirs lake lodge to verify that the ice was out.The ice never left before the end of May and sometime by June 6th.

As a rule I refuse to put my rentals on the upper river until June 10th. Ice issues and lots of junk in the river makes a tough time on rental rafts!

Walt
    Gulkana Raft Rentals
    NOw offering Remote Fly Rafting Trips in the 40 mile country
    www.flytokair.com

You could try and get ahold of one of the raft outfitters or air taxis in Talkeetna and see if the Chulitna from the East Fork down to Talkeetna is open. There will not be much fishing but you can still have a nice 4 day float. You can take the AK Railroad (Hurricane Turn Train) from Talkeetna to Gold Creek on the Sustina River and make an easy overnight float back to Talkeetna. Camp on one of the many islands.

Sorry the Gulkana will not work for you. It's a great trip.

Will be doing the usual float from Paxson Lake to Sourdough on the 22 of June. The only folks we saw last year on the river besides us was the fish count guy on the last day.
    My child was inmate of the month at Mat-Su pre-trial Correctional facility.