Thread: Calamari anyone? 5 ft squid (dead) Adak.

Default Calamari anyone? 5 ft squid (dead) Adak.

Well here's something ya don't see everyday. My team in Adak sent this pic over the weekend. Said it was 5 ft long.

Now is it a a giant squid or a lost humboldt squid? Haven't sat down and examined the pic long enough.

Humbolt squid. Giant squid have much longer/larger tentacles in proportion to their body length.

Quote Originally Posted by vaaler View Post
    Humbolt squid. Giant squid have much longer/larger tentacles in proportion to their body length.
    That's what I thought at first. I sent it NOAA and got this back.....
    l==========================
    Hi Rudy,

I'm always happy to help out. The squid in this photo is an Onykia robusta. The genus name was recently changed so if you look in my book you'll find this species under Moroteuthis robusta. The common name is 'robust clubhook squid'. It is a common species in Alaskan waters and is often confused with the giant squid, though the two are not closely related. It is not often found on the beach so this was a very cool find.

Thank you for sending the photo!
    Elaina

Imagine the size of the halibut that would feast on THAT big squid!! Was planning on doing a bit of deep jigging for squid if I get a calm day - would be SO cool to into one that big.

A fried of mine caught a big squid on their black cod skate a month ago just outside of town. Another one was caught down near Petersburg too.

I knew some people that would catch 6" squid from docks in Puget sound with jigs, are squid caught on rod and reel anywhere in Alaska?

I hear there are some squid in PWS, going to give it a try, maybe this weekend if we can squeeze it in with bear hunting and shrimp
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    I knew some people that would catch 6" squid from docks in Puget sound with jigs, are squid caught on rod and reel anywhere in Alaska?
    I have seen a few pics out of PWS. We don't have the market squid that they catch on the West Coast. But we do have a fairly good population of the armhook squid (Berryteuthis magister)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berryteuthis_magister

Bycatch numbers can be pretty impressive in PWS on some years by the commercial fleet.

Quote Originally Posted by Kardinal_84 View Post
    But we do have a fairly good population of the armhook squid (Berryteuthis magister)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berryteuthis_magister
    Time was, I had good contacts on a couple of trawlers. In winter they get them while pollack fishing near surface, especially at night. I could count on those generous friends now and then to bring me a 5-gallon bucket of squid from their last tow. EXCELLENT eating squid, with mantle meat close to half an inch thick, surely over 3/8". Worth any effort to catch them.

Gotta watch it on some of those bigger squid like in your picture. Often they have iodine content so high they're virtually inedible. Do a little digging in the books, and you can probably find out which ones should be catch and release!

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Time was, I had good contacts on a couple of trawlers. In winter they get them while pollack fishing near surface, especially at night. I could count on those generous friends now and then to bring me a 5-gallon bucket of squid from their last tow. EXCELLENT eating squid, with mantle meat close to half an inch thick, surely over 3/8". Worth any effort to catch them.

Gotta watch it on some of those bigger squid like in your picture. Often they have iodine content so high they're virtually inedible. Do a little digging in the books, and you can probably find out which ones should be catch and release!
    Now that I know I can kayak in the winter, I am going to set up for it. I have three sets of pretty powerful underwater LED lights. After getting all excited to try it, I forgot after living in Alaska since 1971 that it doesn't get dark here in the summer...and typically I am too lazy to stay awake till 2am.

Is it winter yet?!?!?!! C'mon winter! DOH...ok. Winter can wait till I catch a few halibut and sockeyes.

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    I hear there are some squid in PWS, going to give it a try, maybe this weekend if we can squeeze it in with bear hunting and shrimp
    That would sure make for a great mixed bag! Good luck! What do you plan on using for them? Back home they sold "squid jigs" that had really funny looking hooks, two or three rows of them at the bottom of a long tube shaped jig that was jigged vertically.

Quote Originally Posted by Kardinal_84 View Post
    Is it winter yet?!?!?!! C'mon winter! DOH...ok. Winter can wait till I catch a few halibut and sockeyes.
    Have any places down in KBay where pollack hang in winter? According to my sources, Berryteuthis think they're really tasty.

As for jigs specific to giant squid these folks may be the ultimate source for sport gear. While you're there, scroll down and click on the Painted Metal Fish Jigs on the left side. Some of the darnedest good prices (darned goodest? ) I've ever seen.

I picked up a couple of squid jigs years ago thinking I'd try and get some squid on overnight fishing trips. Trouble is after fishing all day I'm content to take it easy in the evening.

One of these days.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Have a squid jig on the boat, installing a light LED light in place of my plug so I will have lighting. Not sure how it will work with so much daylight, might have to fish in the middle of the night.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    Have a squid jig on the boat, installing a light LED light in place of my plug so I will have lighting. Not sure how it will work with so much daylight, might have to fish in the middle of the night.
    You should do ok in daylight. The usual routine around San Francisco for Humboldt squid is to drop jigs on fishfinder marks near the bottom in ~1000-1500' of water. Hook one, then drop jigs 50' short of the hook-up, repeat. The squid school can often be worked up to 100' or less, even in the middle of the day.

Big_E