Thread: Donkey Creek Lake

Default Donkey Creek Lake

Made the adventure this weekend, dipped some hooligans, burnt some gas, and caught some pike.

Got the boats all the way into the lake, and it was still mostly frozen. Managed to slay a few pike in the open areas but i think they are still pretty lethargic with the cold water temps.

Good weather for the most part, except a few big rain and wind storms moving through occasionally.

170 miles round trip

Where next?

Looks like you had a great time
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

What did the Lake creek area look like as you went by?
    Did you run 20 mile or strait up the Yetna?
    Mike

Straight up the yentna, only the second time there and I was loaded pretty heavy so I was just staying close to main channel. The water seemed really high to me every where I was, some day I just need to gas up, take all the weight outta the boat and go play around down there some....Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by DanielApplin View Post
    ..... some day I just need to gas up, take all the weight outta the boat and go play around down there some....Anyone?
    LOL! I'll pass. That plastic you have on the bottom gives you an unfair advantage. You skim right over stuff us mere mortals stick to :-)

Ran up to my property Saturday morning at the Big Bend and the water was fine. Coming back down late that afternoon was a different story. There was so much junk floating down river I was clogging my jet every 10 minutes. I wish sportjets had a clean out access plate like Hamiltons do.

Arcticwildman do you take the short cut by scary tree and cross over into the Yentna. Hoping the water comes up want by the end of May heading up to my cabin in fishlake creek just past lake creek end of may. I know the Yentna will be ok just don't know about fish creek

You can make the short cut- just roll on the throttle and lean into the dash! hahahaha
    I am headed that way saturday, will let you know what the water looks like.
    Mike

Thanks Mike Im heading out Friday to a friends cabin on the Yentna Ill stop and take a peak if my phone works will text you

Quote Originally Posted by skybust View Post
    Arcticwildman do you take the short cut by scary tree and cross over into the Yentna. Hoping the water comes up want by the end of May heading up to my cabin in fishlake creek just past lake creek end of may. I know the Yentna will be ok just don't know about fish creek

I took the long way around since I was by myself and didn't want to chance it. The water came up almost a foot during the day so it probably is good to go now

Thanks cant wait for the week to be over and get on the river friday

Looks like fun Dan. How did you like running with the top on? I still have a hat with your name on it. Do you ever drive through Chugiak? If not I can bring it to you.
    ~Alaska born and raised~ •'04 Duckworth, 5.7 w/ 3-stg. •High side Lowe, '13 Yami 25 prop+Merc 40/30 jet
    •Ranger 6x •CAT atv w/ 27" rubber •A very large moose buggy •M7 153" "Earned, NOT given"