Thread: Lower Cook Inlet Halibut May 10

Default Lower Cook Inlet Halibut May 10

hadn't fished in more than a week so I was getting the itch. Especially after hearing reports from fellow kayakers that they were limiting on halibut and kings.

So I left the house at 11pm and got to the beach at 2:30am. Slept till 4:30am and launched to calm weather. Bait and fish were being marked everywhere with birds crashing on bait. Looked very fishy. But because I had already tagged a king and the Anchor pt Derby is next week, with the annual limit at two fish, I opted to fish halibut today.

Only the one halibut today. Maybe 15 pounds. I will say I set multiple personal bests on Sculpins/Irish Lords today. They were absolutely gigantic. Not the red Irish Lords but they almost looked brown and mottled like a halibut. Twice as large as any sculpin I recall every catching.

After high tide, the water got muddy near shore and the fish and bait just disappeared. Oh well. Its still early in the season and we are catching fish so who can complain?!?!?!

Here's the obligatory video.
    https://youtu.be/uum0-1DvrSk

Nice one, Rudy! i still have to go out to my garage freezer to "catch" a halibut but am starting to prep for my trip up north later this year.

Drysuit? Check. Yak? Check. Rod leashes? Check. Big Squid Jigs? Check.

Quote Originally Posted by carolinaboy View Post
    Nice one, Rudy! i still have to go out to my garage freezer to "catch" a halibut but am starting to prep for my trip up north later this year.

Drysuit? Check. Yak? Check. Rod leashes? Check. Big Squid Jigs? Check.
    Yah baby! It is definitely "go time!" Not hot fishing yet but its my favorite time of year. Decent sized kings and halibut all in shallow water. I think I have enough kings to last me through the Fall season starts up. One more for my parents...maybe two. Then I will be focusing in on the halibut!

C'mon Let's fish!!!