Thread: Goose Lake in Anchorage

Default Goose Lake in Anchorage

Just wondering if anyone out there knows if northern pike have been eradicated from Goose Lake in Anchorage? If so, has the lake been re-stocked?

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Goose are you sure there is fish there ??? it is a swimming lake an they don't or have not ever stocked it , if it has or had pike I don't think F & G would
    even spent the money & time doing the fish kill there , have been in Anchorage a long time an never heard about fish there
    small lake an very limited access to it , as I remember some one else might have more info on it SID

I've not fished it before, but it's my understanding that it's had pike in it. I'll double check with ADF&G tomorrow. Was just curious if anyone here has fished it recently or has any intel on it.
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.

Goose Lake is not listed as a stocked water by ADFG. Doesn't really answer your question but the likelihood of it having fish is much lower.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...ockingAreaID=2

I spoke with a fisheries guy at ADF&G, and it looks like Goose Lake and Waldron Pond are currently being studied for their potential for recreational fishing. It has a lot to do with whether or not fish can winter over in those lakes, or if the dissolved oxygen levels drop too low after freeze-up. Goose would be an excellent addition to the stocking program. Otter Lake, on JBER, is scheduled for rotenone treatment this coming fall, assuming all the paperwork goes through. After that, it will likely be stocked with triploid (sterile) rainbow trout. The reason for sterile trout is because the outflow of the lake contains other species and they don't want to negatively impact those with reproducing trout.

Lots more to add here, but I should get the Anchorage section finished today. I'll post the link when it's ready.

Anybody want to help with these kinds of projects? I could sure use a hand!

-Mike