Thread: First time to Alaska Fishing in Point Breaker

Default First time to Alaska Fishing in Point Breaker

Hi,

New to the forum my son and I will be fishing with Woxof Lodge in Point Breaker Alaska July 18-25th. We are doing a self guided trip and looking for suggestions.

Thanks,
    Roger

I've scoured the internet looking for self-guided lodges and never run across them. I'm assuming the location is Point Baker at the north end of POW island? Price certainly looks right, it's a shame they don't have more details & photos of the lodging & rental skiffs so you can see what you're getting into.

General advice - if you've never handled a boat in Alaskan waters, pay the extra cost to make the first day or two guided fishing. Have them show you local hazards & ask for boat handling advice. Likewise, soak up everything you can from them about how to use downriggers for salmon trolling. I'm looking at the chart for the area, it looks like there's probably STRONG tidal currents running between Baker Point & Strait island. Operating a skiff in those big Alaskan tides is different from most other regions in the US - it's kind of like being on a BIG river.

Hope you have a blast - would certainly love to hear about the trip once you get back.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Zeek View Post
    General advice - if you've never handled a boat in Alaskan waters, pay the extra cost to make the first day or two guided fishing. Have them show you local hazards & ask for boat handling advice. Likewise, soak up everything you can from them about how to use downriggers for salmon trolling. I'm looking at the chart for the area, it looks like there's probably STRONG tidal currents running between Baker Point & Strait island. Operating a skiff in those big Alaskan tides is different from most other regions in the US - it's kind of like being on a BIG river.
    Priceless.

With strong currents, watch the combo of strong currents, tides, and wind direction. Huge standing waves can appear in second in high current areas when the combo of wind and tide is right. The lodge will know about them and give you the skinny. It's still up to your to LISTEN to them.

Quote Originally Posted by lemlerhunter View Post
    Hi,

New to the forum my son and I will be fishing with Woxof Lodge in Point Breaker Alaska July 18-25th. We are doing a self guided trip and looking for suggestions.

Thanks,
    Roger
    I really like Pt Baker. I have spent a few days there on my way around POW island. I agree with Uncle Z; go out with a guide for a day or two unless you have experience in AK. There is essentially no exposure to the open ocean at Pt Baker, but it is still big water and bad weather can move in quickly. The folks at the lodge will help you out with all of the fishing details and logistics. They may not fill you in on some of the little details that could make your trip more enjoyable. Bring a big bottle of 100% DEET for the no-see-ums. Plan for LOTS of rain, every day, all day. Prepare by putting your raingear on at home and spending 15 minutes in the shower. Any leaks? Repair or replace. Bring sunscreen and sunglasses. You may get surprised with a few, or many, sunny days. I have ended up toasted on a couple of AK trips. Consider buying Extra-tuf boots and felt insoles. They are really comfortable. Bring a dry bag or two for anything that you want to keep somewhat dry on the boat. Your camera may not survive the trip; I have dunked one and dropped another. Transfer each day's pictures off your camera to a laptop or tablet, or bring several memory cards. That way you will at least come home with most of the pictures.

Big_E

thanks guys I think I will go guided the first 2 days. Any one know what baits I should take for the halibut?

You mean lures? Or actual bait? The lodge ought to keep you supplied with fresh bait, like herring. Ask them for salmon scraps like belly pieces or pink salmon heads to use for halibut bait.

As far as lures go, contact Kasilofchrisn - he makes very good halibut jigs for a reasonable price.

Thanks. Has anyone fished out of Point Breaker I would love to chat with them

Roger, I have been out there twice so far, I was suppost to go again this year BUT I need to put a new roof on the house **** why did I ever have to grow up. I feel you don't really need a guide for two reasons fishing is good close to the lodge and also you are restricted to size of your halibut, Rob has all real good skiffs and tackle I took my own, I fished an 8 foot steelhead rod 8-12 lb and that caught all my rockfish and cohos 30# braid and 1 and 2 ouce leadheads and swimbaits or jigging spoons like a megabait or crippled herring in white or silver. There was a 248# Halibut caught right as you are leaving the bay last year, We only got them to around 50 lb. or so We ran across the Sumner straits to Point Barrie a few times just to fish in 60 to 100 foot of water. We used 1 lb. leadheads with plastics and sweetened them up with a piece of salmon or cod. Do yourself a favor and buy a pair of xtra tuff I still were mine around the house That's why they call them the Southeast slipper Bring good raingear you ARE in Southeast Alaska, And take shorts and sunglasses They do get sun up there Just don't count on it. Say Hello to Rob and Drew for me I hope you and your son have a great time and hope this helps you Todd Owenson

Have fished Point Baker out of WOXof , Think I could help you with a lot of your questions . Bob 5417736869 , I am in Oregon

I stumbled across the attached video from Larry Csonka's fishing show. He is fishing out of Port Protection, which is just south of Point Baker. He hooks into a 300+ pound halibut. I like watching these videos and trying to figure where they are fishing by comparing the video to the charts in the area.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...E5DDABD88EF823

You will have a great time ! Its all ez fishing and basic boating knowledge is all you need Rob the owner and Drew will lead you right with lures and bait, Ask Rob if the weather will be good enough to run across the strait and fish shallow for Halibut its only about a 8 mile run. Look for halibut right at the mouth of the bay

Thanks guys can't wait. What depth of water are you fishing across the straight? Will Rob be able to send me in the right direction? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lemlerhunter View Post
    Thanks guys can't wait. What depth of water are you fishing across the straight? Will Rob be able to send me in the right direction? Thanks
    Preferred water depth depends on the time of year, bottom structure, size of fish you are targeting, the current/tide, and how willing you are to use heavy sinkers. My crew grumbles a lot when we are fishing with 3# of lead and still having to drop back 100 yds to get to the bottom in 200' of water, but they don't complain at all about the size of fish we catch under those conditions. We often take a break on the second tide or the following day and fish shallower and in less current. The average fish size is much smaller, but there is always the chance of getting a bigger one.

Better than that. You will get GPS coordinates for the area(s) that should be holding some fish and are fishable with the gear you have and the effort you are willing to put in.

Big_E

Fishing across the strait we were in 60 to 100 ft. Just north of Pt Beauclerc ,
    Look for the little depth changes Don't be afraid of going even shallower yet

Hey guys thanks for all the help my son and I had a great trip came home with over 400lbs of filets. Thanks for all the help.
    We only did one 1/2 day guided. Looking to buy some halibut rods and reels any suggestion? Also what line do you guys recommend and what lb test? We had some issues with there gear. Kasilofchrisn jigs were amazing.

For jigging halibut, ling and rock fish there are plenty of great rods out there, it just depends on your budget and preference. I use Seeker blue lightnings and Shimano Trevalas. They have slightly different action and solely as a personal preference I like using lead heads on the Seekers and butterfly style jigs on the trevalas. That said, once I get my kids and friends set up it's whatever isn't being fished at the time.

For reels I'm a big fan of the Avet JX, seems to be the perfect blend of size, weight, retrieve speed and it's a solid smooth reel. I would prefer slightly more drag, but you can always use you thumb to add a tad more drag. I also managed to have the biggest halibut I've ever caught break off at the boat with the drag maxed, so more drag isn't always a good thing.

For line I prefer Daiwa Dendo PE-5 it's a 70# braid.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Congrats on a successful trip! Paul gave you great advice. I use similar stuff. Omoto reels, though. Buy the best your budget affords and you can pass it down or resell when you're done.

going back to Alaska ..are you?