Thread: BFR 500s&w : 7.5 " Or 10.5"

Default BFR 500s&w : 7.5 " Or 10.5"

I currently own and shoot two s&w x-frame 500sw: one 4" and the other the 10.5".
    With the help of several helpful folks in this forum, I have reloaded successfully and have been shooting the 500sw ever since 2-3 years ago.

Lately, I am itching to get the MagnumResearch BFR but I am wondering which one is better. Is the BFR inherently accurate straight out of the factory? My application is range shooting and hunting.
    Let me hear your thoughts.

Thanks a bunch!

--
    Art Y.

No BFR owners here?

Default BFR 500 S&W, 7.5" barrel OR 10"

Quote Originally Posted by arthury View Post
    No BFR owners here?
    THERE are BFR owners who post on this site. AS for the 10"model have bitt more horse power out the muzzle. Watched closely for a year or so as to the model of various 500 pistols. Seems the longer barrel were given the nod, velocity and sight plane seemed better. HAVE the 10" barrel. Light loads pleasant to shoot. Full power loads for in the mountains, yes we have large bears, 1400 lbs or better roaming the mountains. This i know with a surety. BFR is so i can have a fighting chance, as many problem bears are brought here from other states, room thru-out southern Utah from Beaver mountain down thru Ceder mountain, and points north.

Thanks, the extra oomph from the longer bbl is something to be considered.
    Is there any downside of the BFR coming from an X-frame S&W owner?

Default Bfr 500 s&w 7.5" or 10.5 "

Thanks, the extra oomph from the longer bbl is something to be considered.
    Is there any downside of the BFR coming from an X-frame S&W owner?
    SEEM TO ENCOUNTER S&W 500 LONG BARREL PISTOLS FREQUENTLY, NO BFR PISTOLS. GO FIGURE? MUST BE SOMETHING ABOUT THAT FIREARM THAT'S EASY TO LET GO OF.

I am curious too. I have a 10" BFR 500 S&W and have never shot it. I won it at a local banquet and it has been in the gun cabinet for a few years. I have some factory ammunition. I am wondering what the best all around factory ammo would be, as I don't reload. With the 10" barrel it is a little too large/long to use for bear protection or daily use.

Quote Originally Posted by polardds View Post
    With the 10" barrel it is a little too large/long to use for bear protection or daily use.
    How about elk or moose hunting?

IT's there if you need it, as the 375 H&H Remington is held in the hand for just in case. Was told to carry a large bore for what might be hunting you, by many hunters. I will never forget being smacked around by a black bear in upstate New York, scared, cowering inside a sleeping bag, only to run back to the house seeking sanctuary from a monster that came upon me in the late afternoon. Giving thanks to the GREAT ETERNAL for the help in surviving the encounter. Some experiences stay with a person.
    AS for the barrel length, personal choice as to what and how will have to be pondered by those seeking a answer as to ?
    I have made mine, others have made there choices, you will have to seek yours. Wish you well, bye, 4 now.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
    Anytime, ever down this way, stop and rest a bit. Might even share some ammo. Thanks for letting me spout. bye, take care.

I own 3 BFR's and see why they are not found for sale. The .500 S&W is a huge gun like my 45-70 that is the most deadly accurate gun I own but I would go for the .500 JRH in the smaller gun, Does not hold a backseat to the S&W.
    I have not made the S&W shoot as good as the BFR's. Friends bring them, I would not buy one.
    Actually the BFR in a 7-1/2" .475 will do anything. The .500 JRH must be the best of the .500's, the S&W just too much. The JRH is a shortened .500 S&W case. Best of the best with accuracy second to none. I am talking 1/2" at 100 yards. Can you do thus at 100 yards with a Smith?

Quote Originally Posted by bfrshooter View Post
    I own 3 BFR's and see why they are not found for sale. The .500 S&W is a huge gun like my 45-70 that is the most deadly accurate gun I own but I would go for the .500 JRH in the smaller gun, Does not hold a backseat to the S&W.
    I have not made the S&W shoot as good as the BFR's. Friends bring them, I would not buy one.
    Actually the BFR in a 7-1/2" .475 will do anything. The .500 JRH must be the best of the .500's, the S&W just too much. The JRH is a shortened .500 S&W case. Best of the best with accuracy second to none. I am talking 1/2" at 100 yards. Can you do thus at 100 yards with a Smith?
    Sounds like the .500 JRH is probably the best for accuracy. Wished you have said this before my purchase.

The beast arrived and I have not fired it yet.

1. Polishing: the stainless steel polishing is up to snuff compared to Ruger's Redhawks. Nicely done except for a couple of smaller areas near and under the trigger guard that was not done well.
    2. Finish: there are no burs sticking out . Everything inside the trigger guard was filed down and smoothly finished. There are a couple of areas on the frame itself where it surrounds the cylinder that are still pretty sharp. If you run your finger on those edges, you are going to get cut.
    3. Hogue grip: It's nice grip and the curved area in the front sort of semi-wrapped around will protect the knuckle. I like the grip.
    4. Iron sights: The front iron sight should be colored. Black front and rear iron sights takes a while to find them.
    5. Carrying box: No hard-case? OK, for a gun that is around $1,000, Kahr could have included a hard-case, like all of the other major pistol manufacturers do even for guns under $500.
    6. Firing test round: I did not see a once-fired test brass in the box. Do they test fire their products before they leave the factory? If not, they should. And, if they did, they should include the brass. It's just an assurance thing.
    7. Trigger: trigger is nice and crisp. I do not think I need more trigger work done. The trigger is crisper than Ruger Redhawks but not as crisp as the S&W X-frame.

On the whole, the gun has met my expectations (80-85%) without firing it yet.

I'll report back after range test and may be include some pictures.

You will love the gun, no doubt from me at all.
    They do test and proof fire but only some states require a fired case that you are supposed to give to the police, yeah, watch me!
    A few things to know, Ruger's pine Tree foundry casts all the parts, MR has hand lapped Badger barrels installed and cylinders are fit as perfect as you can get. Twist is right at 1 in 15".
    I can't see so good anymore so all of my revolvers have Ultra Dots, straight 4 min dot ones, avoid the adjustable ones.
    It will shoot better then anything you can feed it or hold it.
    Use STP oil treatment on the cylinder pin and ratchet. It will never wear out. Don't cock the gun fast, the huge cylinder is heavy.
    Cock the hammer and stuff some good grease on the sear, I like Action Lube Plus.
    I shoot only cast, made my own molds. The .500 uses a .501" boolit, 440 gr seems best. I go 3 years or more without cleaning the bores, I just keep the cylinders clean and lubed.
    I can't wait to see your results. Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by bfrshooter View Post
    You will love the gun, no doubt from me at all.
    They do test and proof fire but only some states require a fired case that you are supposed to give to the police, yeah, watch me!
    A few things to know, Ruger's pine Tree foundry casts all the parts, MR has hand lapped Badger barrels installed and cylinders are fit as perfect as you can get. Twist is right at 1 in 15".
    I can't see so good anymore so all of my revolvers have Ultra Dots, straight 4 min dot ones, avoid the adjustable ones.
    It will shoot better then anything you can feed it or hold it.
    Use STP oil treatment on the cylinder pin and ratchet. It will never wear out. Don't cock the gun fast, the huge cylinder is heavy.
    Cock the hammer and stuff some good grease on the sear, I like Action Lube Plus.
    I shoot only cast, made my own molds. The .500 uses a .501" boolit, 440 gr seems best. I go 3 years or more without cleaning the bores, I just keep the cylinders clean and lubed.
    I can't wait to see your results. Have fun!
    Now your talking, good points of maintenance to live by, have more fun shooting low velocity 440 lead, and when walking in the woods, you can say "there's no need to fear, bfr is near, when it doubt, shoot it out.then take it home and skin it out" or something to that effect.

Default Range Experience

Range experience

1. Accurate wheeler: my own loads (win296 44gr + 325gr Hornady HP) are more accurate than the 440gr RNFP UltraMax factory load.
    2. Trigger: the factory trigger is quite crisp. I do not see a need to improve it further.
    3. Recoil: quite a bit of muzzle rise ('cos no muzzle brake) but most of the thrust is horizontally punch is rearwards.

I am a happy camper. MRI did a great job with this gun. I have no complaints.
    Highly recommended, if you are looking for a SA large caliber revolver.

Aside from looking like a Ruger, just finish really, I would buy one of every single BFR made but on SS has meant selling other guns to get mine.
    I will never look back! I never pay for looks or FEEL, I want results and that is there in spades. I have done gunsmith work forever and shot everything you can name and the BFR is as good as anything ever made, right out of the box.
    My first was the 7-1/2" .475 and when I picked it up I was surprised to see a Huge RUGER that I love. No, I did not expect it at all. Got it on sale $715 out the door.
    My friend brougt over a new .500 JRH and it did this at 50 yards with a load I worked with a mold I made for it.

I had to have one, nuff said?