Thread: jackass lift

Default jackass lift

Selling my old jackass style lift. Any opinions on what it's worth? Came off my Grumman.
    Attached Images Attached Images

not sure what it is worth, not much call for them now I have not seen a new Grumman canoe for sale up in Alaska for a long time,
    not much demand for them now , but who knows you might get lucky , SID

PS looks like one I built for a 14 FT John Boat back in about 1970 / to 1973 probely not ,

Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post
    not sure what it is worth, not much call for them now I have not seen a new Grumman canoe for sale up in Alaska for a long time,
    not much demand for them now , but who knows you might get lucky , SID

PS looks like one I built for a 14 FT John Boat back in about 1970 / to 1973 probely not ,

So here ya go----someone give it a good home and it's yours. Free. PM me if interested

I hadn't been on the canoe forum for a long while was interested to see your comment, especially that nobody wants the 19 foot Grummans anymore. I've seen a couple being used in one remote area and I know that one guide in the Interior has a whole fleet of them but I don't even think they are sold in Alaska anymore. I have a like new one that I was going to put up for sale but now I'm not so sure if it's worth bothering since even though I don't expect to use it anymore, I prefer to keep it if the alternative is to sell it for a few hundred bucks. It's nice to have around just as a pleasant reminder of where it got me on a few hunting trips. I just brought it back from a remote cabin up the Kantishna River where it sat (mostly inside a cabin) since 1996. It was used very little and not at all on rocky streams. I was amazed to see that Marathon now lists it at $2481. It has a 1996 era "Fairbanks" lift on it. I think I paid about $1600 for the canoe in 1996 from Salcha Marine and about $250 for the lift from Beaver Sports. Time passes!

I'm not quite sure where the idea of them not being in demand is coming from. Yes, there are a couple other alternatives that some people are going for, but last I saw, the 19' Grummans were still in good demand and selling for decent prices.

some people do still want them but no one sells them in Alaska I think [ GRUMMANS ] there is a small nitch for the big Grumman in Alaska llast a long time an very little or no maintance , not like the HB type canoes SID [ LAST 30 + years ]

I want it!

If he doesn't take it I will
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.--Benjamin Franklin

I sent you a pm I am very intersted in the lift.

Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post
    some people do still want them but no one sells them in Alaska I think [ GRUMMANS ] there is a small nitch for the big Grumman in Alaska llast a long time an very little or no maintance , not like the HB type canoes SID [ LAST 30 + years ]
    Let me just say, that i have had one for about 25 yrs, and have used it hard..still packing moose out with it, have taken it into sheep country multiple times, caught more fish out of my 19 ft freighter than i care to lie about. Love this boat with it's lift and can get it into places ya can't believe...people are always trying to buy this boat, and they still go for a good price , the lift is a great addition. If ya can get your hands on an old heavy gauge Grumman ya are set..

Thanks for the information about the value of the 19 foot Grummans with the Fairbanks lift. I have had the same experience that IAK has had with getting them into remote locations. It's pretty hard to beat them for that.

there are 3 reasons that this lift is not as good as the one made in Fairbanks
    # 1 the motor is not over the transom it is about 10 to 12 inches back off the transom
    # 2 vou have a big problem with BOIL OVER [ water over the transom ]
    # 3 if you have to do any thing to the eng. it is off the transom [ back ] 10 to 12 inches
    it is cheaper tnen the one from Fairbanks , but not as good I think
    when the Fairbanks lift is installed properly you can pick up the motor [15 HP 2 cycle ] with only one finger pressure full speed or at a stop
    SID
    PS, don't get me wrong the jack ass lift will work but the Fairbanks version is just so much better. all the way around

there is a person that makes them in the valley no Idea on the cost ,

I believe it was "AKMUD" here on the forum that made my new lift. Did a good job. Last year was in the 300 dollar range. He is in the Wasilla area.
    Dwight