Thread: Klutina reports?

Default Klutina reports?

I'm headed down to the Klutina this weekend for some reds. I'm considering trying for some kings on the way back up. Anyone have any reports on the Klutina, copper, gulkana area?

Default Report

This number is for King For A Day campground and charter service. Call them and they will give you a fishing report. A few days ago they said the Kings were not in yet. I am not sure about the Reds

822-3092

Default Klutina and Gulkana

Kevin again. The Sun has warmed the Klutina Waters and they raised a good ft as of Weds. Red fishing was fair work but fair. Witht he increase water level you will find Kings int he system by the weekend.

Gulkana is running a tad off color however low which wierds me out when it happens. King fishing was good int he AM by mid afternoon it had slowed with the heat and sun.

Default Klutina Report

The sockeye fishing I experienced the last 2 weeks has been great. I will start fishing for kings this weekend. I will post my photos as normal. There is always room for more people at Klutina. I have other locations in the Copper Valley that I also fish. I am not a secret agent and will not with hold information on fishing the area if asked.

Check out the video of me and my buddy on Youtube fishing for Kings at Copper-Klutina Confluence. "In search of Copper River Kings"

Good Luck

TSS
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Quote Originally Posted by JediMasterSalmonSlayer View Post
    The sockeye fishing I experienced the last 2 weeks has been great. I will start fishing for kings this weekend. I will post my photos as normal. There is always room for more people at Klutina. I have other locations in the Copper Valley that I also fish. I am not a secret agent and will not with hold information on fishing the area if asked.

Check out the video of me and my buddy on Youtube fishing for Kings at Copper-Klutina Confluence. "In search of Copper River Kings"

Good Luck

TSS
    How long does it take to walk down to the mouth of the Klutina? How's the walking (bushwacking or obvious trail?) Thanks.....also, what the very basics on catching reds in the Klutina?

heard red fishing is decent and king fishing is poor
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

I really appreciate the postings from people who actually have been there and who provide some insightful and accurate comment on the fishing and access. Sure beats relying on guesswork and conjecture. Thanks!

Come on, nobody can tell me about the hike to the mouth? Or basic red fishing on the Klut? Throw me a bone!

Talking Kultina Report

The Fishing this last weekend at Kultina was good. The fish are still coming in sprits so some times you have to put your time. Manged to get my limit everyday without a problem. Noticed that the fish are 2-4 pounds bigger this year.

KMac- To get to the month is a easy 3/4 to 1 mile hike on a pretty ggod trail. Saw lots of people heading that why and most were coming back with fish. I did not see any kings caught this weekend, but saw a few rolling in the river. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by FishingBum View Post
    The Fishing this last weekend at Kultina was good. The fish are still coming in sprits so some times you have to put your time. Manged to get my limit everyday without a problem. Noticed that the fish are 2-4 pounds bigger this year.

KMac- To get to the month is a easy 3/4 to 1 mile hike on a pretty ggod trail. Saw lots of people heading that why and most were coming back with fish. I did not see any kings caught this weekend, but saw a few rolling in the river. Hope this helps.
    Hey, thanks, that's the type of info. I'm looking for. So, do you just cast "Russian River Flies" into eddies from the bank and hope to pull your line through a reds mouth?

Cool Flies

I use a yarn fly I tye my self in verious colors on a 3/0 or 4/0 red octopus hook. I have seen people use Russian River Flies but with not as much succes. Fishing the eddies works well as does some of the fast water, and yes most hope to pull your line through a reds mouth. I have found with my latest fly the fish have been hitting it. Try using Red and orange for you colors.

Quote Originally Posted by FishingBum View Post
    I use a yarn fly I tye my self in verious colors on a 3/0 or 4/0 red octopus hook. I have seen people use Russian River Flies but with not as much succes. Fishing the eddies works well as does some of the fast water, and yes most hope to pull your line through a reds mouth. I have found with my latest fly the fish have been hitting it. Try using Red and orange for you colors.
    THANKS
    So by yarn fly, do you basically mean something like a fat freddie (just a ball of color)?

Default klutina reds

Kmac,
    Just returned from the klutina, camped at Klutina Salmon Charters campground. Fishing was ok from the campground directly across the river, or better yet a small hikefrom KSC's campground. Walk across the bridge & then take the trail on your left- downstream for 10 minutes approx 3/4 mile. The spots will be easy to recognize, small sandbar & pool where a creek runs into the river. Small spurts will come through & if you stay at it your 3 will come. Fish just like the kenai reds, #2 gamma hook with yarn or chenille wrapped around the shank & glued on with super glue. 14" leader & pencil weight bounce, bounce, bounce, fish.

I did the klutina this weekend. Fishing was slow, but you can limit out. The trick is to stay put and wait for the fish. The techinique that worked for me (and most other's in the area) is to put about 1/2 Oz. weight 18"+ off your hook. The purpose of the yarn is to make your hook into a fly. That area is fly only, bare hook is illegal. Realistically every Red caught is snagged. The "flossing the mouth" theory applies.

The trail to the conflence isn't too bad. I saw a couple people at the creek, had some luck around the corner of the confluence.

Default Sorry..that is inaccurate

All reds caught are not snagged. I too tie my own flies (yarn and a hook basically) and many a day have sat on that rock, below the bridge between Groves and Klutine Salmon charters, and have had reds chase my fly almost to the surface. Yes, they attacked it, and were not "snagged" as the yarn catches on their teeth/mouth through a drift. I'm sure others have had reds strike a lure..just ask. Anyway...just my 2cents :-) Oh, and the Klutina is a "flies only area..?? I didn't know that :-0

I have to agree with fishnman I have caught more then one red that attacked conventional king gear and I assumed they were a jack untill I got a good visual on them it isn't an everyday occurance but not a total rarity either. There are many red flies that imitate small creatures that reds feed on many swear by them over the conventional red fly.
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it

Interestingly, on a charter out of Homer in late May this year, I caught a sockeye on one of the troll rods. It took a whole troll herring, so I guess they eat more than krill at sea.
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

Default Agree

FishnMan & otterman you are right on. I have spent the last 3 year working on my yarn flys. You can always tell when you are flossing the mouth by the hook is almost always in the coner of the mouth with the hook point going from out to in. Most of the time when I catch a fish I almost have to pull the hook out of his gut. That is taking the fly and not flossing.

PS: Kultina is NOT a fly only area. Last time a checked the reg stated you could use any lure and bait.
    Last edited by FishingBum; 06-26-2007 at 16:16. Reason: Add Information

Hi,

Just got home to NY this morning, was at the Klutina Sunday afternoon and most of Monday. Changed locations numerous times. Had little success doing the flip thing like everyone else. However late Monday I found a spot were I actually saw reds breaching and I decided to switch techniques. So I put some chartreuses yarn on a circle hook and drifted it to the spot where I saw them breaching and let it sit a bit. Sure enough one took my yarn and I landed my pink. Did this for some time and had nibbles but couldn't set the hook. Took a look at the hook and it wasn't that sharp. Changed the hook drifted the chartreuse yarn an bam! another fish for the basket.

Unfortunately I only had the flies and didn't have any more hooks or a hook sharpener with me the rest were back at the RV.

LESSON LEARNED!!! Overall a fun trip!

I'll post a more detailed report on my trip when I get over the jet lag.

OP1

Default hmmm...

I was down there part of Saturday thru Monday afternoon and limited out Sunday and Monday. I was using a 24 inch leader off of a 1 oz. weight with a single bead above the hook. Worked like a charm. Seemed I was doing better than average as I was getting the "**** you" looks as I walked to clean my fish. I did hook into a king on Saturday night and fought it for about ten minutes before it spit my hook...checked my set up and everything was good besides my hook being bent to a L shape. He was probably in the 30# range. Everyone I was with hooked into one at one point or another but lost all of them...Red setups just don't hold up very well to a King...It was a lot of fun...

AZinAK
    Last edited by AZinAK; 08-14-2007 at 00:19.