Thread: Willow Pike

Default Willow Pike

Hello everyone! I was wondering if anyone might be able to give me some tips and info that's a little more up to date on pike fishing in the big lake/willow area? From previous posts I've gathered that weed beds along the shore line and herring under bobber are usually good starting points. And I'm going to apologize ahead of time for my lack of knowledge of specific lures and techniques. Mainly just been fishing for trout and silvers my whole life lol(well most of it anyways, moved to AK when I was 6), but now looking forward to expanding on that.

I'll be fishing from a canoe but would like to bring my 2 little ones along from time to time as well so for lakes such as red shirt lake and the like I'd prefer to stick to ice fishing if possible unless they are looking really promising. Most of the info I've pulled up so far is going on 3 years old so a more recent update on which easily accessible lakes have decent populations and where a good starting location might be would be greatly appreciated. And since I plan on doing ice fishing for them as well, any info on good lakes connected to the main willow trail system would be a huge help too. Thank you in advance for any help/advice!

man I guess there are still some big ones in Nancy!!! Managed to get a quick vid of him before I lost him. Darn but how I'd wished for a bigger net than my tiny trout net. Sorry for the crappy quality it had been raining almost nonstop for 9 hours and the lens kept fogging up. Hoping to get another chance at him this weekend with my kids!

Quote Originally Posted by shadowmoonwolf View Post
    Hello everyone! I was wondering if anyone might be able to give me some tips and info that's a little more up to date on pike fishing in the big lake/willow area? From previous posts I've gathered that weed beds along the shore line and herring under bobber are usually good starting points. And I'm going to apologize ahead of time for my lack of knowledge of specific lures and techniques. Mainly just been fishing for trout and silvers my whole life lol(well most of it anyways, moved to AK when I was 6), but now looking forward to expanding on that.

I'll be fishing from a canoe but would like to bring my 2 little ones along from time to time as well so for lakes such as red shirt lake and the like I'd prefer to stick to ice fishing if possible unless they are looking really promising. Most of the info I've pulled up so far is going on 3 years old so a more recent update on which easily accessible lakes have decent populations and where a good starting location might be would be greatly appreciated. And since I plan on doing ice fishing for them as well, any info on good lakes connected to the main willow trail system would be a huge help too. Thank you in advance for any help/advice!
    Info on pike has changed very little in 3 years. Just get your boat in the water and good luck.