Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Deska landing cost keeps going up

Default Deska landing cost keeps going up

Made the first voyage of the year down the Sue and tie will most likely be the last year I launch from the deska. The keep increasing launch fees with no real change other than the electronic gate which that have had for over two years now. I am sure it has paid for itself several times over. When launch fees cost more than seward or Whittier it is time to rethink where i go. I gues I am tired of places that continue to increase fees knowing that folks have little to no other options. The power of the mighty $$ seems to get the best of a lot of folks. Anyway. Safe boating this season. Also talked to a guy there yesterday who went there last weekend and Telugu wouldn't let him launch due to what they say was unsafe conditions.

I don't think it went up this year? It did last year I believe from 25 to 30 bucks to launch. I don't like it either but it is what it is and it's still worth it for me to spend the money for the enjoyment I get. 5 more bucks is still so darn insignificant compared to the overall cost of boating.

Did it go up? Last year it was something like $30.00 for launch. The launch fee included a full day of parking and it was 10$ per additional day parking. I think its the same this year.

Also I know they opened the launch to airboats only on the 30th as the channel still had an ice berm where it entered the Sue. May be why your bud was turned around. Not sure when it finally opened up but I know it's clear now.

It was the same as of last week

Don't know where else you would put a boat in. If you choose to drive to Susitna landing you will spend more in vehicle fuel plus depending on where your going in your boat your using more fuel also
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

I think many people do not stop and think of the cost of ownership and running a business on a property the size of DL. Insurance, maintenance, taxes and payroll, let alone profit, which is why we all work or own business's.

$30 to launch a boat is the cheapest part of a trip down the Susitna. And we do not have to do any work besides drive up and launch. I pay $30 a gallon for my Optimax oil for pets sakes..

Those who think this is a unreasonable price should try to own, maintain and use their own launch without a profit and see where the numbers fall.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by akarrows View Post
    Made the first voyage of the year down the Sue and tie will most likely be the last year I launch from the deska. The keep increasing launch fees with no real change other than the electronic gate which that have had for over two years now. I am sure it has paid for itself several times over. When launch fees cost more than seward or Whittier it is time to rethink where i go. I gues I am tired of places that continue to increase fees knowing that folks have little to no other options. The power of the mighty $$ seems to get the best of a lot of folks. Anyway. Safe boating this season. Also talked to a guy there yesterday who went there last weekend and Telugu wouldn't let him launch due to what they say was unsafe conditions.

In your statement about the electronic gate the cost of the gate and all of the repairs and updates with the electronic ,computer updates and all that the cost of the gate is approaching $100,000.00 . Then you have the cost of dredging the launch area that runs from $10,000.00 to $20,000.00 each year. Did your insurance and labor cost go down,I don't think so. There is a lot of cost involved in operating a place like Deshka Landing.Equipment wears out and has to be replaced. Deshka is a private business and get no hands out from the goverment,unlike Susitna Landing where the state came in a few years back and did over a million dollars of upgrade. If you look at the complete picture you will see that you are getting a fair price not cheap but fair.

Quote Originally Posted by Cresent Hills View Post
    $30 to launch a boat is the cheapest part of a trip down the Susitna.
    Thats a fact

Big Bent, here's a hand out. Su landing is a state facility operated by a private entity.

That is very true that it is operated by a private entity but the big money that was put into the property was after it was leased to the private party .Deshka Landing has to pay for flood damage each and every time out of their bank not state money. So there is a big difference in cost to operate.

Quote Originally Posted by lineburns View Post
    Big Bent, here's a hand out. Su landing is a state facility operated by a private entity.

Default Deska landing cost keeps going up

A private owned SINGLE owner place to launch on the Su would be ideal. There's nothing one can do since the DL is like one of two places a guy can launch. If there was competition I'm sure prices would be a little lower. Prices will only go up since they pretty much have a monopoly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sadly the chances of another landing are very low due to all the permitting, and eco Nazis. Someone would cry turbidity and killing salmon or something along those lines, even though the su is clogged full of silt. There is a viable lot that I know of that would make a great landing, but DNR owns it and probably wouldn't let it go as its the historic landing for the railroad steamers. If you would be able to get permits to dredge the slough that riverside and the other lots are on, they would be useable for any boat instead of just airboats. Instead of trying to open another landing, just buy one of the memberships that comes up for sale. Then you don't have to deal with it for the rest of your life. That's what im going to do when I funds are available.

Upgrades lately include credit card swipe at the gate, video cameras that are recorded, warm up shack, heated bathrooms, elec plug ins for vehicles, dredged launch, new tie downs the launch area, and more I'm sure ......
    Come back and find your gas cans are gone, or cat has been cut off, tailgate stolen, or vehicle broken into, it might change your opinion.

Buy a season pass and quit towing and you will quickly see the advantage!
    The launch is there to help the users of deshka landing, not make the owners/users rich. Its a break even businees essentially.
    Bk

Hopefully at $30 to launch it at least keep the riff raff out. But have to agree, it is pretty much a monopoly. Lets just hope they don't start building hotels.

Quote Originally Posted by akarrows View Post
    you could always launch at the Anchorage launch and run across the inlet……...

Done that a few time when we lived in Anchorage.
    Though it's Weather dependent

Yea, Now , part of the weekend fishing /hunting budget has to be the cost of the landing & parking .

$12 launch, $6 park at the Su landing, how much more gas to go from there ?
    A long, several day trip may pay to give them some business.
    How far can yo go down & back on $18 of gas + what you save on parking ?

At least it a user fee & not a tax

Deshka landing has to have political pull, only paved road in Willow LOL
    Sure save wear & tear on the boat & trailer.

How about using some of my license, boat tags permit fees &
    put in a road to Flat Horn Lake, put in a State launch there ?

Wasilla, behind 3 Bears on the Palmer Wasilla Hwy

Its basically 20 miles from the Susitna Landing down to the Deshka River, give or take a mile or so depending on which route you end up on. It's a great run and will make you a much better jet boat operator as you will have to learn to read the many braids of the river. It's certainly not like the deep water run from the Deshka Landing down to the Deshka River.

We have done this run many times over the years, though not so much lately with the lousy fishing. The best part, however, is Susitna Landing itself. It is a great camping spot with Kashwitna River access and a quite, non-stressful boat launch. There is even a small boat harbor so you can leave the boat in the water over night. The kids can play in the water and you can fish from the bank if you're inclined. Sheep Creek is just upriver a few miles and Montana Creek just a few more miles.
    Attached Images Attached Images

There was talk about putting a road into Susitna station a few years ago, from Susitna pkwy, it was on the list of 6 places and projects that should be done. Instead they picked the rail extension and some other ones to blow money all over. Flathorn lake would be a good idea, a little bit shorter and less swamps to hop across. To bad people can't just go blaze in roads anymore, that's how most roads in the valley where made back in the day, then when everybody started using them the state upgraded them. Or DNR could open up some more of the land downstream of Deshka landing.....

Quote Originally Posted by bmunsell View Post
    Its basically 20 miles from the Susitna Landing down to the Deshka River, give or take a mile or so depending on which route you end up on. It's a great run and will make you a much better jet boat operator as you will have to learn to read the many braids of the river. It's certainly not like the deep water run from the Deshka Landing down to the Deshka River.

We have done this run many times over the years, though not so much lately with the lousy fishing. The best part, however, is Susitna Landing itself. It is a great camping spot with Kashwitna River access and a quite, non-stressful boat launch. There is even a small boat harbor so you can

leave the boat in the water over night. The kids can play in the water and you can fish from the bank if you're inclined. Sheep Creek is just upriver a files and Montana Creek just a few more miles.
    Susitna landing is a very nice place with very friendly people operating it I run out of it when I bear bait
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

Quote Originally Posted by bmunsell View Post

We have done this run many times over the years, though not so much lately with the lousy fishing. The best part, however, is Susitna Landing itself. It is a great camping spot with Kashwitna River access and a quite, non-stressful boat launch. There is even a small boat harbor so you can leave the boat in the water over night. The kids can play in the water and you can fish from the bank if you're inclined. Sheep Creek is just upriver a few miles and Montana Creek just a few more miles.
    ^^^^^^^^
    That place is real nice and very well kept up
    2005 20' Weldcraft Sabre XL 350 MP
    SD309 AT
    2009 Polaris Dragon 800 163
    Custom Mod's

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast