Thread: Stormy Lake closed to watercraft, aircraft due to elodea

Default Stormy Lake closed to watercraft, aircraft due to elodea

Stormy Lake closed to watercraft, aircraft due to elodea
    Posted: May 23, 2013 - 9:00pm
    Clarion staff report

The Alaska Division of Parks and Outdoor Recreation has closed Stormy Lake to watercraft and aircraft for the summer season while government officials assess and seek to control spreading of the invasive aquatic plant, elodea.

According to a State Parks press release, the recommendation to close Stormy Lake, located within the Captain Cook State Recreation Area near Nikiski, was made by a state and federal agency working group seeking to address elodea infestation on the Kenai Peninsula.

In the fall of 2012, elodea was found in Stormy and Daniels lakes. This summer, government officials plan to treat the infestation in both lakes.

Elodea infestations can be severe. Ecological impacts include reduced water quality, increased sedimentation, native vegetation displacement, and degraded salmon spawning habitat. The plant can be easily spread from small fragments picked up by watercraft or aircraft and transported to other waters where it can reproduce asexually from plant parts.

For more information, contact the Kenai/Prince William Sound Area state park office at 907-262-5581.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Just curious as to why you posted this nearly two years after the closure....?

Hmm,,,,, I wonder why as well.
    It popped up on my computer TODAY from the Penn Clarion like it just happened and I mistook the 2013 for 2015.....

Oh well.... I wonder what ever happened in the long run?????
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

I wonder too. I can't imagine how they will lick this, when ducks and seagulls fly from one lake to another all the time. I miss that lake.